Tuesday, March 06, 2007

Comfort zone break out

A three day break at the start of the month has helped my shins a lot and Sunday morning saw me out with Holly (the ever happy lab) for a long run. On my own, I decided a 6:00/km pace was the fastest I wanted to go and after about 4kms Holly and I settled into a 6:07/km pace very comfortably. I had my fuelbelt loaded with an electrolyte replacement drink, the weather was cool and just a bit windy - no need for any walk breaks and the return trip of 17.7kms was very, very enjoyable. Holly and I just love running our coastal trail.

To push myself out of my comfort zone I put in some hill intervals today. Nothing too serious, but as I could only afford a short break at lunch today, I figured some speed work would do me good and have me back in the office inside 50 mins. Puuurrrfect. I ran 6 x 400m - not timed, but at a very uncomfortable pace up a grassy hill that left me unable to talk while I walked back down the hill to start again. It's funny how I hate doing intervals but love having done them afterwards. I'm going to try and put in a session like this each week for a while. Importantly, the shin aggravation feels much less doing these than my usual plodding style.

Good luck to everyone doing the 6 foot track on the weekend. I hope it's rewarding for all of you and it completes the training/personal journeys that so many of you have been on for the last few months! I wish I could be there to cheers my friends on but the household finances are a bit stuffed at the moment - maybe next year.

3 Comments:

At 5:28 PM, Blogger Samurai Running said...

Hi Wobbly

Intervals with a "ever happy lab" sounds like the ticket. You don't have to worry about having to talk after those efforts that is unless old Holly wants to, of course.

 
At 8:15 PM, Blogger Ewen said...

That's great Wobbly. 17.7k at that pace is perfect, and why would you and Holly want to run quicker on that lovely trail.

I like the hill repeats too. A good way to change the muscle use from normal running. No need to bust a gut. Good stuff!

 
At 10:41 AM, Blogger Tesso said...

Holly nees a fuelbelt if she is going to keep doing those long runs with you. You could put some Schmackos in the front pocket.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home