Sunday, February 04, 2007

Watchin you..

Another great week with three solid runs (7.5km, 10km and 17.3km) into the bank.

I switched this week's longish run to Saturday due to hot weather being forecast and there was no little athletics to do this week with Wobblette #2. I have targeted 120kms for Feb while only running 3 days a week still. I will try to introduce some fartylek this month (a particularly unattractive wobbly version).

With the warm weather due I ran early and had my fuel belt ready and prepacked with Gu (which I didn't use) MP3 player and a good supply of Powerade. I have been lacking in confidence in my stamina lately and had a mini target of 2 x 10k runs without taking a walk break. Thursday I managed 10kms for the first time without walking and was ecstatic about that.

Saturday I ran the whole 17kms without walking!! What the??? I felt like I was just floating most of the time. My fuel belt kept me well hydrated and the MP3 was great for distracting me when the going got a little tough up a slow long hill. I went out hoping to maintain an average pace of 6min/kms the whole trip. I ended up with 5:51 average - woot!! I didn't really pay any attention to my Garmin until the last km when I realised how well I was going.

Trouble is my shins are quite tender now, so they will get a well earned 2 day rest. Apart from that, the running gods are being very good to me and I intend to keep my enthusiasm well under control.

Thanks for the encouragement to stick with my slow recovery plan punters. The slow return seems to be starting to pay dividends.

7 Comments:

At 8:05 PM, Blogger Black Knight said...

Congrats for your 17.3 km. workout despite all the troubles. Your recovery plan is very wise and you are right, keep your enthusiasm under control. I didn't do it and the pain is back.

 
At 8:05 PM, Blogger Toasty said...

good advice to keep the recovery slow, and surprising requires a lot of discipline to hold back at times

i am curious about the "unattractive fartleking"

 
At 6:56 AM, Blogger Jen said...

Great news D :-))

 
At 2:38 PM, Blogger Tesso said...

Good news on the run Wob.

Did you just switch to Beta??? I haven't been getting your updates in Bloglines. I will resubscribe and see what happens.

 
At 10:38 PM, Blogger CJ said...

Sounds like a very sensible training program and it seems to be working well. As for your wobbly fartylek style, trust me it can't be as bad as clumsy cj's style of tripping over her own feet!

 
At 8:47 AM, Blogger Clairie said...

Hi WObbly Man, I just manged to re-subscribe and got all your posts at once!!!

Hope those tender shins have gone away and you feel great after your long run last weekend.

Hows this week been for you?

 
At 7:33 AM, Blogger SRR said...

Tell me about shin pain!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home