Tuesday, February 13, 2007

Caught slacking again...

I was forced to covert to the new Blogger version last week. Anyone who has really a happy experience with a different blogging tool please let me know.

Last week I got in my Tuesday and Thursday runs okay. In fact the highlight of the week was running with Ellie 80 early on Tuesday morning. Despite my best efforts to get Ellie to stop for a drink we kept on running - about 10k in all along the yarra and around the Tan. Sunday morning rocked along however and it was a different story. As I dropped a foot out of bed I heard the distant rumble of thunder. A quick look out the window revealed it was raining heavily and was blowing a gale. I went straight back to bed firmly of the view that I would run later in the day. Yeah right! As if that was ever going to happen....Who was I trying to kid? In my usual childish manner I am now trying to justify my slackness by calling last week a step back week.

Despite my slow, gradual build up in mileage, my shins are playing up again. It is soooo frustrating to know I took my medicine (12 weeks off any running) last year because of this and the problem has returned in the space of only 3 months. You would think that with only running three days a week, low kms, at an easy pace, on mostly soft surfaces and with new shoes my shins would stay happy, right? Wrong :(

Enough whining. Obviously running sans orthotics hasn't worked so they are going back in. I am also reduce my runs back to nothing over 10k for a month to see if that helps. I will also try and smuggle some more new runners into the house while Mrs Wobbly is looking the other way. I wonder what I can sell on ebay to fund the purchase? Maybe my Timex Speed and Distance.

7 Comments:

At 1:19 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bugger .... !!!

Get back as soon as you can.

Take care

Eat Em

 
At 4:07 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

duncan i see rob o'donnell at southern suburbs physio in bentleigh
he is a running coach and very knowledgable he may be able to help
with your shins.

 
At 3:00 PM, Blogger Ewen said...

You might lose some subscribers for a while - just keep nagging them to come back.

You could sell your Garmin - don't need it if you're only running 10k ;)

Hope the new shoes help!

 
At 5:20 PM, Blogger PortRunr said...

Bad news about the shins...hope you tame them soon.

 
At 7:11 PM, Blogger Black Knight said...

Sorry for the shins, it's frustrating when the pain is back.
About the new version, I will resist with the old one until the last possible day!!!!

 
At 3:41 PM, Blogger Ellie80 said...

hey just found you again! bloglines sucks!

thanks for the lovely run - always nice to have a local to show you the ropes. and who are you kidding? I was stopping for drinks, blister emergencies, traffic lights... whatever I could find!

 
At 3:12 AM, Blogger iJuls said...

There are many articles on the use of foam rollers. Adding some foam rolling (shins, peroneals, and calf) to your post run routine might help out. You can also do some rolling therapy on your rest days.

This link has photos showing the roller: http://www.performbetter.com/catalog/assets/Exercisesheets/PDF/FoamRoller.pdf

 

Post a Comment

<< Home