Monday, January 08, 2007

I'm still here....

Now, I expect that some of you were sitting back thinking there wouldn't be another post from the old Wobbly fella for another few weeks while his post holiday interest level for his training and blog dropped lower than a prostitute's panties. Well those of you that did, were wrong!

Here I am, bright, shiney, far from new, and as excited about my return to training as a randy teenage boy on his first date. I confess though, to being a little unsure about what level of training my body can manage (perhaps again like that randy teen). Unsure, is no far as I have torn my calf and my injured my back through over-training before both reulting in extended periods of being unable to run, and I'm concerned either may break easier next time. Having said that, both times things have broken were at peak training-load times and I intend to be much more careful regarding training loads going forward. I think I am perhaps adopting the opposite approach to a certain fair maiden from the Black Knight's army. While it's very frustrating being unable to run like I used to, what I am doing is very, very enjoyable. I really look forward to my runs and certainly am enjoying the flexibility that low mileage brings with it. It is particularly enjoyable running without Mr Garmin's regular reminder on how slow I have run the last km in.

The trouble is that low mileage means a low amount of calories being burned up and my fondness of food and alcohol over the festive season has resulted in me carrying a few extra kilos that I didn't have at this time last year - Oink, Oink! As I increase my miles the kilos will just fall of me, won't they? Won't they! (please nod with me here readers)

I just ran twice last week, a mid week 10k and a weekend 12k. It's been a bit hot here during the last week so I skipped another run I did have planned.

Any long runs for this month will continue to be limited to 1hr 30 mins and I plan to run about 100 -120kms this month.

12 Comments:

At 11:08 PM, Blogger 2P said...

You'll be the sleek old Wobbly Man in no time ;-)

 
At 3:27 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The only certain thing we have at this point is hope.
Better times ahead for you this year Wobbly!

 
At 5:24 AM, Blogger Ellie80 said...

absolutely - they will just fall straight off! good to see you back blogging ...again :)

 
At 7:00 AM, Blogger Jen said...

I'm nodding too ;-)

Welcome back! It's great to have you back in blog & PG land :-)

 
At 2:44 PM, Blogger Tesso said...

Good to hear from you again :-)

You are still going nutso on the bike aren't you?

Thanks for the SIJ sympathy. Got any secrets for a speedy recovery?

 
At 7:55 PM, Blogger Cirque said...

Glad to see you blogging again Wobs. And in the spirit of that teenaged boy...keep it up!

 
At 9:06 PM, Blogger Ewen said...

Yes, they will fall off Wobb.

My advice is to keep the pace very easy (slow) and gradually extend the distance. You can get surprisingly fit on slow runs.

 
At 9:43 PM, Blogger TA and the Gnome said...

Wob, I don't know what your training patterns are like long term, but so far (touch wood) since I've started dropping the distance every 4th week by 50% (yes, really. 50%. It's actually very hard to do. I always want to cheat and just do "a bit more"... Anyhow, where was I? Oh yes) I've managed to avoid the peak-of-training, just-before-major-race injuries.

Mind you, check me again in early march...

Gnome

 
At 1:57 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Welcome back, it's been a while. If you're as randy for the road as you claim to be, I predict that the low mileage will soon increase to higher amounts.

 
At 6:22 PM, Blogger Lulu said...

Take it easy there, we want all the PG on the road at the same time for once. I'll be back soon, then we have to get Y back and then we'll be set. No further injuries allowed this year.

 
At 4:12 PM, Blogger CJ said...

Good to hear from youand I think your approach is very smart. Take care and keep enjoying your running. I, too, over indulged over Christmas and am also hoping that the kilos will drop off over the next few weeks!

 
At 6:31 AM, Blogger Black Knight said...

Thanks for the mention. I also indulged after the marathon and over Christmas. Now I need to increase my mileage or I will become a fat former-runner!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home