Wednesday, January 03, 2007

Happy New Year everyone!

Wow, can you believe it is 2007 already?

It seems like so much has happened during my 2 week holiday that it has all become a bit blurry. Maybe that also has something to do with the amount of alcohol and food I have consumed lately. My two week holiday was fantastic although it seemed to flash by (and onto my waist I might add). I guess that is what happens when you have a great time. :)

With the help of my holidays, I managed to re-establish some consistency to my running. Having the flexibility of running pretty much whenever you like doesn't really allow much space for excuses does it? I'm still running without my orthotics and running only every second day (at most). I also have no intention of running with a watch for January unless running a new course and need to measure it.

While I was away I ran with my Garmin to measure my distances and I am soooo glad I did. I have never used the "bread crumb"/map function before but managed to get myself utterly lost while returning from a 10k run in a country town we had over-nighted in. A quick button press onto "map" and I found I was heading at 90 degrees to the direction I thought I was going in. I am sure I would still be wandering around looking for my way back to the motel without it - it is brilliant!

With the new year upon me I suppose some stated long-term goals are appropriate.

1. Stay injury free and run within my body's limitations
2. Get capable of doing marathon training again.
3. If one and 2 are achieved , Gold Coast Marathon in early July is a maybe, and if the moons align perfectly and finances permit then an overseas marathon in the last quarter of the year is possible.

For January however, I will just be continuing to ease my mileage up while protecting and managing my pesky shins.

14 Comments:

At 12:19 PM, Blogger Clairie said...

Happy New Year Wobbly.

Great to hear that Gold Coast may be a possibility. That means we get the pleasure of your company once again.

Keep glued to your first goal and all the others will follow.

 
At 1:35 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds like you were able to enjoy with our regrets, just forget about the waist line :D

I will think of my own body limitations from now...
Is accepting myself is the same as quit?

 
At 6:20 PM, Blogger Tesso said...

Happy 2007 Wob! Be great if you make it to the party, whoops, marathon at the Gold Coast :-)

 
At 7:48 PM, Blogger Jen said...

It was lovely to see you Wobs. Take care of those shins & I'll see you in July at the GC :-)

 
At 3:47 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know what you mean --recovering from the holidays! And that's a great idea to run without a watch. I'm trying to do the same...less pressure and more fun!

 
At 1:03 PM, Blogger Katie said...

Happy New Year Wobbly!!! Glad to hear your back into things... look after the shins!

 
At 1:48 PM, Blogger PortRunr said...

Happy New Year! Hope you have a great year and build up the distances with no troubles.
If Canberra treats me well GC might be an option here also.

 
At 2:50 PM, Blogger Toasty said...

Great Goals ... we'll see you on the Gold Coast

 
At 10:25 PM, Blogger Ewen said...

Happy New Year Wobbly clan :)

That's clever with the Garmin - I must remember that!

I'm thinking about maybe doing the GC half - if so, I'll might see you there if your goal's 1 and 2 are achieved.

 
At 12:21 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy new year. I must say that I hardly use any of the functions on my Garmin - I get amused enough just watching it draw pictures for me of my runs. I really should do some of this more.

 
At 5:12 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hope your moons do there dance thingy and line up for this years goals.

 
At 12:25 AM, Blogger Black Knight said...

2 weeks of holidays are great. Very good goals indeed but the number one will always be the injury free one. Go for the marathon!

 
At 1:25 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy New Year Baby!
Those sound like realistic goals!

 
At 2:06 PM, Blogger miners said...

Happy new year mate. Goals one and two look very respectable and very sensible. Might even try and do the same ;)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home