Monday, October 16, 2006

Take the long way home...

It's Monday morning now and following a solid 10hr sleep I am feeling human again.

Life just seemed to intervene over the last two weeks and my riding was minimal (just 1 ride) so I must admit I was approaching the Around the Bay in a Day ride with a mix of both excitement and some trepidation (although I suspect most of the 13,000+ riders were).

My excitement however was ultimately tempered by my decision to shave down. Leaving making this decision until Saturday afternoon was definitely not a good strategy and starting shaving at 6pm in between dinner preparation (when I was in a hurry) didn't exactly help much either. I had thought the hair trimmer on my electric razor would do 80% of the work but all it did was rip the hair out rather than cut it! Plan B was to use my usual shaving razor but I only had one used one and a new one. After one leg and about a 1/2 pint of blood loss, I returned to the kitchen, served a scummy pasta meal and quickly disappeared into the bathroom for another attack. Curiosity about my absence eventually got to the Wobblettes when they found me they were a little shocked to see me with one leg up on the hand basin - hair everywhere and blood oozing down my wet legs. I confess to liking the way my new legs feel now but it is kind of weird that when I touch them I keep thinking of Chrissy Amphlett singing that Diviynal's song "Touch myself". :)

Anyway, back to the ride... After starting at 5:30am in the city, I finished the first 50kms (31mile) at about 30kmph (18.6mph) pace with mostly cross winds. Riding over Oliver's Hill, Mt Martha and Mt Eliza were tough and draining as always so after reaching the Dromana foreshore (apr. 70kms) I stopped at a cafe for a toasted bacon and egg flat bread thing and a cafe latte. Just the tonic!! It was a stiff headwind to Sorrento 100kms (just missing the next ferry cut off) and then a 1hr wait for the following ferry while I ate lunch. I was feeling good at this point, just a little leg weary but the wait helped.
Queenscliff to Geelong seemed full of long undulations that really sapped my strength and I struggled for a while (unable to hang onto any packs) along this leg of the course. I took a break at the rest stop in Geelong and after getting going again found myself with a pack of 30 odd riders. The going up the front was just a bit tough so I slipped to the back of the pack hoping for a bigger draft but it was very disorganised at the back and the pace kept slowing and speeding up so I fell off the back feeling a little dejected. I plodded along for a while on my own at a slower pace and began to find my rhythm again. I remember seeing the 6hr mark come up on bike computer. I had done 165km (102 mile) and was averaging 27kmph (16.7mph) so decided to focus my mind on maintaining that pace to the end. That was a good strategy as it turned out and I finished in 8hrs and 8 mins riding time with an average of 27.1kmph

I can report that 210kms (130miles) on a bike is a looooooong way, my butt is sore but my legs feel pretty good. No punctures and I didn't fall off at all. I think I now consider myself a reasonable, albeit unbalance (in many ways) cyclist!

Oh, and a final note of thanks for everyone on my shaving dilemma.

21 Comments:

At 1:01 PM, Blogger Hilda said...

What an amazing ride wobbly! That ten hours sleep was after it, right?

Well now you have to tell us what do the family say about your new look and if it really improved your speed.
Women don't have that difference, what could I do then to improve as a cyclist? I'm already shaved :P

 
At 1:02 PM, Blogger Gronk said...

Crikey ! Well done WM. :)

 
At 1:56 PM, Blogger 2P said...

Wow Wobbly what an awesome result that is fantastic mate - well done ;-)

 
At 1:59 PM, Blogger Ellie80 said...

Yep - that is a great ride Wobbly - my ass hurts just thinking about it!!!

 
At 2:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

well done wobbly,
that's a decent amount of time on a bike!
good on ya.

 
At 2:05 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

that was me ,

 
At 2:23 PM, Blogger miners said...

Brilliant mate! Congratulations on a truly huge effort. You've come a very long way in a very short period of time and are much more than an accomplished cyclist now - especially with the juggling dinner between shaving, and the ratio of cafe stops per km etc...

Can't help much iwth the shaving techniques - still a bit of a gumby myself. In fact, I often just take the easy option and use the clippers and leave it at that - looks OK from a distance ...

 
At 2:41 PM, Blogger Tesso said...

LOL re the shaving. I'm with Aunty K, try waxing. It hurts more :-)

 
At 4:23 PM, Blogger Lulu said...

210km is along way in a car :)

Great to have achieved that while you were on your rest from running. It will make running a marathon seem soooo much easier now;)

 
At 7:11 PM, Blogger Jen said...

Lulu is right. The marathon is going to seem positively tiny now :-)

Great work my friend. Hope your butt recovers soon :-P

J xx

 
At 9:01 PM, Blogger Bernie G said...

Your poor girls, they will probably carry the memory of finding Dad shaving his legs with them forever...hehehe.

Great effort on the ride.

 
At 11:54 PM, Blogger TA and the Gnome said...

What an amazing story! I'm more than happy to hop off after an hour. How on earth did you do 8??

Of course, you left out the most important part of the story. Where did the shaving stop... :-)

Gnome

 
At 2:31 AM, Blogger susie said...

Excellent...although that rippping sounds rather painful....really painful....
:)

 
At 11:24 AM, Blogger Spark Driver said...

Did you have those pieces of toilet paper stuck to your legs Norman Gunston style??

I find it amazing that you rode around Port Phillip Bay in 8 hours. Awesome effort!

 
At 8:09 PM, Blogger Ewen said...

27kph is a pretty good average speed Wobbly! Was that you I saw on the tele next to the Premier?

Glad you didn't post the blood and hair pics.

 
At 2:43 PM, Blogger Downhillnut said...

Whoa that's some ride! Good on ya!

Don't you think bandaids have at least as much weight and wind resistance as hair? And blood letting before a race - don't you need those red blood cells?

 
At 7:50 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Baterfly, that is the funniest post I've read in a long time! :-)

I was sending you positive thoughts on Sunday even if I didn't get around to sending them via technology. Well done my friend!

 
At 8:03 AM, Blogger Clairie said...

Well done Wobbly (aka sexy legs)

My boss flew down and did that ride - he said when he finished he was unsure how he was going to get to his hotel his legs and butt were that stuffed but after a coffee and two muffins he got on his way and ended up sprinting it for the 12km back to the hotel.

Glad to hear you shaved....sorry about the blood loss :)

 
At 3:44 AM, Blogger Black Knight said...

Very good job! Now that you have solved the shaving dilemma please don't ask further advices about shampooing dilemma!

 
At 8:26 PM, Blogger Toasty said...

I wish I was there to dance and flip pom poms around near the end for encouragement

 
At 11:46 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wobbly - you're an inspiration. Guts, determination, perserverance... and all that was just for the shave down!

Looking forward to catching up soon. Cheers. Rob

 

Post a Comment

<< Home