Monday, July 03, 2006

Monday musings

The weekend got off to a great start with a really hard 50k ride into a strong headwind for the first 25k (just one fall to report - no damage except to my already dented ego). Another fall followed - this time I fell into a big heap when I developed a headache from hell - one that left me in a darkened bedroom for 3 hrs curled into a ball. I get these maybe once a year only thankfully. This one I'm sure had a lot to do with me not slowing down earlier in the week when I developed a head cold. Sheez, when I am on a couple of weeks holiday the last thing I want to do is lay around in bed during the middle of the day (unless of course...).

Sunday was rainy for a change so no riding and even though I wanted to run I just couldn't summon the enthusiasm to do it. With the last day of school holidays though the kids were up for any activity so we decided on mini-golf. It was a greeat way to spend a few hours with the kids.

It's lemon season down here and everyone seems to be giving us lemons from their trees so with an ever expanding pile of lemons the Wobblettes and I decided to attempt to make a lemon meringue pie. Result - looked great, the lemon stuff mostly didn't set and the pastry wasn't cooked underneath at all. What's with this blind baking caper anyway? Maybe I should just get blind drunk before baking? Not sure the kids would find that so amusing though!

I had a 50k ride today to Patterson Lakes where I managed to get myself utterly lost and ended up near Frankston. I got myself home finally, de-numbed my toes and then slipped the runners on for a gentle 6k run (my legs were a bit knocked up after the ride so I allowed myself a short walk break at 4.5k). That's two (yes count them: 1,2) x 6k runs in 5 days (without my orthotics) in my old shoes and my shins feel fine!! Woohoo! Yay shins!!! . Rest day tomorrow - maybe some painting.

BTW - Happy 4th of July all you Statesiders! You get a long weekend don't y'all? I hope its fun!

9 Comments:

At 7:08 AM, Blogger SRR said...

WM...honey...maybe you should just hang up your apron and leave the baking to the real lady of the house! lol :-)

 
At 8:24 AM, Blogger Taunya said...

No long weekend for me, I had to work today! The pie does look delish...even if the crust didn't quite cook...Cute kiddos too.

 
At 2:41 PM, Blogger 2P said...

Wow you are into the brick sessions now - of course wobblyman on a bike conjures up some interesting visuals.

Great work on the training - pity about the old brain ache i get those occasionally and totally understand the curled up in a dark room theme.

Baking and minigolf sound great too.... ;-)

 
At 11:16 PM, Blogger TA and the Gnome said...

I lurrrve Lemon Meringue Pie... Feel free to come and try again at C2S time :-)

Gnome

 
At 3:01 AM, Blogger Thomas said...

Did you take your name from your unsteadiness on the bike? Make sure you don't hurt yourself, or you'll start looking like me at the moment.

 
At 8:58 AM, Blogger Katie said...

Were they Panda's on your pj's???? Very nice ;-) Keep up all your hard work!!

 
At 9:16 AM, Blogger Spark Driver said...

A 6km run after a 50km ride?? That sounds like too much punishment to me.

 
At 8:15 PM, Blogger Carolyne said...

Long Time, No Comment WM!

Blind baking will help in assisting the pastry base not being soggy. Although conventional instructions suggest filling the shell with dry beans (or ceramic pei weights) prior to baking, this is a hassle. The idea is to weigh it down, and prevent it browning. You can do it easier by placing baking papaer or foil in there first and cooking until cooked but not browned.

Best to weight the paper or foil with something - less important with foil. To make sure the 'lemon stuff' sets, check that the oven is not at too high a temperature, and that the eggs (more yolks than whites if you can) are sufficient.

(I love food! - and I've just been perfecting the ideal french lemon tart).

Don't worry too much about coming off the bike. It will keep happening for as long as you ride, you'll continue to feel foolish, but it will be less and less frequent.

I hope to catch up with soon and the Wobblettes and She-who-never-Wobbles go well.

 
At 12:58 PM, Blogger Toasty said...

I see from the comments above that there is some work for you in perfecting the lemon meringue pie. Keep at it and when you have it right, call me. It has been a favorite of mine since I was 3 or 4 years old.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home