Sunday, June 11, 2006

Sunday Fall # 3

A couple of e-mails and fellow Cool Runner Greybeard had thankfully agreed to meet me for a bike ride this morning. I was hoping that Greybeard Jnr would come too so he could pass on some tips about riding a road bike but his late shift the evening before unfortunately prevented that. With a strong southerly blowing we headed downwind for 16kms first -questionable logic I agree, but we had a particular cafe in mind. The ride down was uneventful enough although I noticed Greybeard was wisely keeping his distance from me and my somewhat wobbly riding technique (perhaps he has been reading my blog).

With a couple of warming lattes at the cafe and a good chin-wag about what training I have been missing out on while I have been injured, we were soon back mounting the bikes outside the cafe for the return journey. Somehow or other while remounting my gleaming (near) new bike I managed to get one foot clipped in and missed the second one right outside the cafe resulting in a rather spectacular tumble for fall # 3. This fall (somewhat predictably) was right out the front of the cafe and no doubt provided loads of laughs for the more serious cyclists and breakfasters inside who would have had front row seats for the inadvertent entertainment I was providing outside.First blood

I noticed that A Girl Running thinks that running is better than sex (or food)! I'm pretty sure that even at my age I could find a more pleasurable way to inflict an injury like this and not suffer as much embarassment!

The ride back was all tough being all into the wind but it was great to be back exercising with Greybeard. It's been hard to watch my fitness slipping away while recovering from an injury and today I noticed how much I have missed the company of like-minded exercise freaks like Greybeard!

That makes three days riding in a row and am looking forward to riding another 20kms tomorrow and tackling my first easy run next week

9 Comments:

At 10:52 PM, Blogger Jen said...

Would you believe reading about your falls has actually inspired me to take the cleats out tomorrow for the first time!

*she crosses her fingers...

 
At 4:55 AM, Blogger Hilda said...

After the #3 fall sounds like you will be now ready to go. Can't be more in a row!!

Still take care and enjoy your next run!

 
At 1:35 PM, Blogger Tesso said...

No, no shaving. Go the waxing!!!

 
At 3:36 PM, Blogger Spark Driver said...

Leave all the hair there mate. In this cool weather we need all the insulation we can get.

 
At 6:04 PM, Blogger TA and the Gnome said...

You may be able to imagine more pleasurable ways to get hurt, but would they still be less embarrasing if you did it in front of a crowded cafe?

Gnome

 
At 7:58 PM, Blogger Cirque said...

Call that an injury? I did worse than that tripping over a blade of grass!

You probably win on the public humiliation front though.

 
At 6:11 AM, Blogger SRR said...

Well that does it! I was going to hop on my bike, but I better not, for fear of a fall! Thanks...I now have an excuse!

 
At 7:51 AM, Blogger psbowe said...

LOL @ what Susan said! I was thinking the same thing...

Hope you 20kms went better, no more falling.

 
At 6:10 PM, Blogger miners said...

oo-er. Well it happens to us all, so better to get it out of the way nice and early ;)

Great to see you (sort of) enjoying it mate. The cafe stops are usually pretty good compensation - assuming of course you don't run out of cafes that you're too embarassed to return to

 

Post a Comment

<< Home