Saturday, June 17, 2006

The sum of 10 weeks of indulgence...

while recovering from my injuries is .....*insert drum-roll* ....5kg (or 11 lbs or 25 000 carat [international] if for whatever reason you measure in those units)! Yes folks, despite my suit pants feeling tighter after every trip to the dry cleaners I continued to (over)indulge myself and today after a 2.5 hour exercise session (when I was probably dehydrated) I tipped the scales 5kgs heavier than my April pre-marathon weight. Yikes! Just as well I have recovered (enough) from my injuries and can get back out there and burn some of this "stuff" that seems to have accumulated around my waist and on my back-side.

This morning's session was a 45k (round trip) bike ride down to one of the fantastic cafes in Beacon Cove followed by a small run.

I rode with a friend who is much more experienced than I at this riding caper and it made a huge difference. He taught me loads of things and also gave me some great riding tips. At one point we were overtaken by a pack of about 30+ Bayside Bandidos which initially was very scarey but we decided to hang onto the back of their pack for a couple of kilometers. Our speed went up over 5km/h for the same effort. After 45kms I realise that the increased volume of padding on my backside does not seem to be in the right places for my bike seat - ouch!

After the ride and a quick change, it was out for my first run in three and a bit weeks with Holly the ever happy lab. She was so happy to see me lace on my runners that she was bouncing about with joy but not nearly as much as I was (albeit inwardly)! It was a slow and easy 6kms (with a couple of brief walk breaks) to test out my legs which performed almost faultlessly. The first km was weird though as my thighs and quads just felt (and probably looked) like rubbery blobs from the ride.

So with 2.5hrs of exercise and a couple of errands to the shops done I am now waiting for Mrs W to go and do the weekly grocery shopping with the kids so I can sneak in a mid-afternoon "nana" nap.

On a side note I resigned from my job this week after accepting a better one with a company I worked for about 13 years ago. This move was primarily driven by a distinct lack of job satisfaction in my current role and something that was unlikely to change in the mid-term. I've been a very happy puppy this week, I have drunk too much and had too many long lunches. :)

6 Comments:

At 5:41 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

5kg over, you need to get back into marathon training. Are you in for Melbourne this year, only 15/16 weeks away.

 
At 6:41 PM, Blogger Sekhmet said...

Fantastic news about the job Wobbly! I hope that you are a lot happier in this one :-)

Great to see you are getting the hang of your new bike - I'm sure your arse wiull get used to it soon lol

 
At 8:15 PM, Blogger Tesso said...

Welcome back to running Wob. I thought we were going to lose you to that crazier sport.

Congrats on the new job.

 
At 1:56 AM, Blogger SRR said...

Glad to hear you're happy...that's important!

 
At 2:04 AM, Blogger Hilda said...

Don't worry to much about the weight happy puppy, I put on kilos even while running!!

Goo dluck in your new job! Changes are always nice.

 
At 4:45 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Lose those 5kgs! You looked fab without them!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home