Sunday, June 25, 2006

Satisfaction at last !

Since revising my running priorities for the next 6 months I have discovered that Sunday's do not have to start in the dark at 5:45 am and exercise does not necessarily need to commence shortly thereafter. Exploring this new found sleep opportunity (after falling asleep while watching Australia hand out a wolloping to Ireland in the Rugby) I woke at 8:00am, snoozed for another 45 mins and casually got myself clad in the customary cycling lycra.

I decided a blast up Beach Road was absolutely necessary to ensure the custard filled doghnuts had arrived safely at Cafe Racer okay. I am feeling a lot more confident on the bike now (yes, another ride without falling off/over) and I'm seeking out small packs to latch onto so I can learn the "Mason-like" hand signals that help you navigate around cars, pot-holes and basicaly know what the leaders of the pack are doing.

I set out to pedal hard today as it was a shorter trip (40km round trip) and surprised myself. Although I am new to this cycling caper I suspect most cyclists slack off more than I do. I arrived at Cafe Racer with sweat dripping of my nose and steam coming off my shoulders but when I looked at many of the others getting off their bikes they looked like they had just left their driveways! I suspect it might say something about my current level of fitness too, but lets no go there just now....

Anyway, after quizzing some experienced cyclists who had ridden 500kms over the weekend about distance progression etc (being a dumb newbie is coming very naturally to me), devouring a custard-filled doughnut and downing a cafe latte I headed home on my own. After about 3kms I found myself behind yet another blonde haired cyclist of the female variety and again I found myself able to pedal much harder and for longer than I thought possible while keeping up with her. She turned off after about half way home so I quickly returned to my normal pace before a heart attack developed.

All up 85 odd kms cycled again for the weekend. I am hoping to slip in two 6km runs during the coming week as I finish up with my current employer on Tuesday afternoon and will have plenty of time to get out there for a run.

I took Wobblette # 2 for a camel ride this afternoon. She had a grin from ear to ear. Pity I didn't take the camera!

9 Comments:

At 6:41 PM, Blogger Sekhmet said...

So was that a cycling ponytail effect?

And have you got yourself signed up on a cycling forum now????

Great to see you enjoying it so much Wobbly :-)

 
At 1:08 AM, Blogger SRR said...

You lucky duck! When I am in training, my runs start whenever the sun rises. That way I have my whole day to lounge and do whatever. I am green with envy, Wobblyman!

 
At 3:27 AM, Blogger Black Knight said...

Busy period in front of tv: Australia is playing a wonderful rugby (sorry for Ireland) and tomorrow football against "my" Italy|
05.45 a.m. to exercise? Never in my plans!

 
At 6:41 AM, Blogger SRR said...

WM ~ So sorry to invlove you in this silly chain letter monkey business. But if you do it I'll bake you some cookies! Check out my blog to see what I mean!

Thanks!
RR

 
At 5:44 AM, Blogger *jeanne* said...

I NEVER get up early for exercise, no matter what I "plan". (Unless it's a race day. THAT gets my lazy butt out of bed!)

A camel ride, eh? Is this ... er ... COMMON ... where you live?

 
At 6:30 AM, Blogger The Absent Minded Landlord said...

Beware the fast electric bunny at the dog track. It is a good motivator, but not worth a heart attack ;)

 
At 9:38 AM, Blogger Spark Driver said...

Can you believe that people are lining up for 2 to 4 hours in Narre Warren at the moment for Crispy Creame dougnuts?? They don't sound half as good as your custard ones. Crazy.

 
At 12:02 PM, Blogger miners said...

fantastic effort on the bike Dunc - particularly with that uncanny ability to find those companions of yours ...

btw - another lesson worth remembering with cafe ettiquete, is to always take advice on training totals with a BIG grain of salt. I know guys up here who MIGHT ride up to 500-600km in a weekend - but they're young pros who are racing in Europe and Canada at the moment too ;)

 
At 7:05 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Excellent, love it!
» » »

 

Post a Comment

<< Home