Saturday, June 10, 2006

First two road riding attempts

Firstly I need to thank those that have sent PMs and provided comments to help me take my first couple of baby steps with road riding.

After two rides (total 40k) and incurring nil (yes zero!) injuries, my observations so far are as follows:
  1. When walking in cycling shoes with cleats on slate floors don't try to change direction quickly. Fall # 1 and I hadn't even reached the front door.
  2. Water bottle cages are for water bottles - best to put one in it as cycling is thirsty work.
  3. Two pairs of socks will not stop your toes from going numb if it is below 7 degrees Celsius (44F)
  4. When approaching a red traffic light remember to get your shoe unclipped before starting to put your foot down (fall # 2)
  5. Cycling computers were made by strange geeky people that do not appreciate that people like me will try to figure out what button is which while riding.
  6. When trying to figure out what the cycle computer buttons do, remember to look up occasionally - parked cars are probably not soft or inexpensive to run into.

So far so good. I have really enjoyed doing some exercise again and next week will be trying out my new running legs. My shins etc are all feeling good and ready to go again. Mind you, after chocking on 4 kilos (8.8lb)since the beginning of April I'm not looking forward to feeling my man boobs bouncing about again!

5 Comments:

At 8:52 PM, Blogger Jen said...

You are a gamer man (person) than I. I haven't taken my bike out onto the road using cleats yet! I'm too scared of braking something before my big race of the year!.

 
At 6:51 AM, Blogger Hilda said...

You are so funny!!

Just one thing, those recomendations are for very fancy bikers, as the aussie ones :)!! I couldn't help you in that sense.

men boobs bouncing ajajajaja!

 
At 10:54 AM, Blogger SRR said...

Yeah...I've had many an accident on those toe clip things on the bike. Nasty little suckers!

 
At 2:53 PM, Blogger Spark Driver said...

That sounds great but time now for a personal question.

How is your butt feeling?

 
At 9:03 PM, Blogger Tesso said...

LOL Wob :-)

Must be chilly out there riding. Is it worse than running in the cold?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home