Saturday, May 13, 2006

The rest of Saturday....

I usually cook a family meal on Saturday nights - my specialty at the moment is the world's best fettucini carbonara. Seems like the family can't get too much of it. I should say it is only the world's best through the ingredients I use (not my cooking skills) and they can only be found in Melb at a few places - my favourite place being the famous Vic Markets. Wobblette #2 and I cruised into town and once at the markets went to the free range egg man (they don't get any fresher unless you live at the farm), to my favourite deli for the freshest and silkiest fettuncini ever created. It also sells the yummiest smokey bacon I have ever had - we got a couple of extra rashers for Mrs W's mother's day breaky tomorrow too. Then to the cheese shop for parmigiano reggiano. Mine obviously is a non-traditional version (using bacon) and I also add some swiss brown mushrooms which I get from a little mushroom merchant.

Ingredients collected we headed to another Melbourne icon for hot chocolate, coffee and cake at-
Peligrinis
a shop that is 53 years old and serves traditonal Italian dishes and magnificent coffee - even if they are a bit rude when serving it. Over the laneway is a little bookshop so we poked around in there for a while.

After getting home I took both Wobblettes down to see the local footy team play (and win in a nail biter). After polishing off dinner and some chocolate mousse cake for desert, I think we will all sleep well tonight.... (if I can ever get that Postman Pat tune out of my head)

16 Comments:

At 10:28 PM, Blogger Tesso said...

Postman Pat, Postman Pat, Postman Pat and his black and white cat ....

 
At 1:22 AM, Blogger Hilda said...

I liked the photos so much!!
Great to share a day like that here!


Good apetite!

 
At 11:59 AM, Blogger Cirque said...

Looks like another good reason to visit Melbourne!

 
At 4:12 PM, Blogger Lulu said...

YUM! Can I have some? I love going to all the good providores and getting the best produce.

Good to see you had a good run as well!

 
At 4:18 PM, Blogger Sekhmet said...

Can I come to your place for dinner???

 
At 7:50 PM, Blogger Carolyne said...

A great blog! I love the Saturday tales of the important things in life!

 
At 9:20 PM, Blogger Ewen said...

The Vic markets are great! Maybe I can pay for my airfare with the money I save on the bananas?

 
At 9:58 PM, Blogger 2P said...

Congrats on the 13 niggle free k's WM.... I am a big fan of the vic markets myself - me an Mrs 2P have a trip planned there for end July.

 
At 10:07 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a great blogger you are WobblyMan. I really enjoy reading your posts, and love the photo's. To all those reading the posts, Wobby is much too modest about his cooking prowess, he is Chef to the Chefs!! I also notice he has become somewhat arty-farty with his carpentry exploits... way to go!!

 
At 10:55 AM, Blogger RunDave said...

Thanks for the coms Wobblyman. In contrast to the world's ugliest sculpture, I'm going to put a photo of my favourite sculpture/fountain on my blog.

 
At 9:54 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Love your blog, Wobbly, with all the family news, especially your culinary expertise. If ever I'm in town.....!!!!

 
At 10:43 PM, Blogger TA and the Gnome said...

I think the next CR get together should be at Wobbly's place... :-)

Gnome

 
At 8:28 PM, Blogger Stu Mac said...

You just have to love the Vic Markets. I am also a fan of the South Melbourne Markets too.

Great pics & post WM.


Stu

 
At 8:32 PM, Blogger Thomas said...

I don't think I've ever been called evil before, so this is a first for me.

Personally I think of myself as the first victim, not the perpetrator of the Postman Pat virus. You're lucky, you only had it for 13 km, I had to suffer for 7 + 13 miles.

Overall, that's very funny though! I never knew I had that effect on people.

 
At 4:07 AM, Blogger psbowe said...

Looks like you had loads of fun and food, I luv the pictures..the food images made me hungry.

 
At 3:32 PM, Blogger Spark Driver said...

Great pics there Wobbly. I may have to go down to the Vic Market and have a poke around.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home