Sunday, April 02, 2006

Saturday smiling?

As suggested by the physio on Friday evening after his pummelling I went out for a very light 3km jog on Saturday to see how the lower back pain was. It was there but not as bad as before and I ran the whole way with a stupid smile/grimace type expression which I am sure on-coming pedestrians couldn't quite work out. I doubted I could run a marathon though (at any pace beyond walking).

The plan with the physio was if Saturday went okay I would have a longer run on Sunday and see how that went. Armed with a level 3 overhang and a messy house I decided running was perhaps not the best idea and have delayed it so far. I'm feeling fine now but have had a few back twinges through the day and am not sure I am ready to run and perhaps have to accept the fact that my marathon goal is beyond me (for now). I have a secondary plan starting to form of running the Great Ocean Road marathon on 21 May. That might be a reasonable alternative but sadly will be without the CR cheersquad and the many Cool Runners that I was so hoping catch up with in Canberra.

... stay tuned for an update....

Edit: I ran for 40mins on Monday morning around my local streets in ever decreasing loops and most of the time was feeling that the pain levels were more manageable. The thing is I am not sure if I just trying to talk myself into it..... I suspect I am just trying to avoid making the decision.

11 Comments:

At 9:05 PM, Blogger Tesso said...

Gees, we'll miss ya if you don't make it to Canberra Wob :-(
But it's great that you have a 'plan B'.

Such a pity the Great Ocean Rd clashes with our Warwick Pentath-run, it sounds like such a beautiful run. There may not be a squillion CRs there in person, but we'll all be there with you in spirit.

Take care buddy.

 
At 9:38 PM, Blogger Gronk said...

Sorry its worked out like this WM. Just quietly the GORM sounds like a simply awsome run and only 6-7 weeks away. Sounds like you'll be fine tuned by then. :)

 
At 7:19 AM, Blogger Katie said...

Great attitude Wob! We will miss you if you do not come.... but you need your back for a long time and there are plenty of marathons... and the great ocean road sounds like a beauty! I am sure by mid week it will be clear what you want to do! Take care!

 
At 8:23 AM, Blogger Clairie said...

Whether you make it to Canberra or not, I am happy to hear that the back pain is decreasing.

Hopefully mixed with some rest, some more pummelling and perhaps some pain relief you will be in good shape to make an informed decision.

Go with your gut feel Wobbly :)

 
At 9:20 AM, Blogger Cirque said...

Don't forget the Brisbane Marathon Wobbly.

 
At 10:52 AM, Blogger Spark Driver said...

The Great Ocean Road sounds like a good, safe alternative.

 
At 11:26 AM, Blogger 2P said...

It is when you get to plan 49C you know you are trying to talk yourself into it!

GOod to hear it is getting better WM - keep the faith ;-)

 
At 4:20 PM, Blogger Ewen said...

Wait until the last minute Wobbly.

The GORM sounds like a spectacular run - a pity you have to run 45k though.

 
At 5:18 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm rooting for you....(I'm Scottish, rooting DOESN'T mean the same thing....)

;)

 
At 10:56 PM, Blogger TA and the Gnome said...

I think I know how you're feeling, but at least you have a back-up plan. I wasn't switched on enough to think that well.

Still, it's only Monday, so you have a few days yet. Stay cool and good old Dr Time work its magic...

Gnome

 
At 3:50 AM, Blogger Hilda said...

Definitely you never know what can happen while training for a marathon, the great news is that you already have a B plan... Despite you could miss to run with those great runners... still you can go and check the event....

Hard decision!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home