Tuesday, April 11, 2006

Losing my virginity in Canberra!

What a weekend - woohoo!! It will bore everyone to tears if I attempt a blow-by-blow description of the run so will try and keep this brief.

The Start: I arrived with about 5 mins to spare and no warm-up. As I was introducing myself to some fellow Cool Runners the gun went off - oops! I hadn't even turned on my running watch so consequently spent the first three mins turning it on and finding the right function - while trying not to elbow too many people along the way.

0- 10km: (55:58) I went out with my Melbourne training buddies Cato and Greybeard. Even though I knew they were likely to be too fast for me I wanted to get through the first 10k with plenty of chat to distract me from my back pain. That worked well and I soon found the Team Wobbly cheer squad near the 10k turn around point cheering like crazy! I grabbed some ibuprofen and a chocolate Gu and thought I was feeling pretty good. Going past the turnaround and the CR cheer squad I seemed to end up beside fellow Cool Runners (Plu and Gasher) so we set off for the second longer loop in search of photo opportunities.

10 - 20km: (54:37) I was still traveling okay, found myself running on my own at about the 15k mark - not sure how and I was feeling that the slightly fast pace was helping my back pain (although this was probably the ibuprofen in hindsight).

20 - 30km: (59:30) Going through the Half Marathon point in 1:53 had me worried but I soon realised I had to add on 3:05 mins because it took me that long to get my watch going after the start - so I relaxed a bit. Just a couple of mins ahead of schedule I was feeling relaxed. I had forgotten to walk though the drink stations as planned because the water tubes are so easy to run and drink with. I felt good just keeping my rhythm going while drinking. I think I took a small walk while going up a hill and stopped to do some back stretches as well.

30 - 40kms: (69:13) Things were beginning to get ugly for me. I stopped at about 34km mark and briefly started to sob. I doubted I was going to finish for the first time. I couldn't keep the pace going and not alter my gait so I slowed down a little, thinking if I kept my form I wouldn't do any damage to my back. I needed to stop and do my back stretches every couple of kms and then every km towards the end. My calves were also starting to cramp. I remember starting to chat to one girl during the final leg home (I guess around the 36km mark and she said she had thrown up three times so far). I didn't feel so bad after that so I walked and ran and stopped and stretched my way to 40kms thinking if I could make it to the Wobbly cheer squad I would be able to finish.

40 - 42.2kms: The Wobblettes ran up to me around the 40km mark and ran with me for about 200m or so - I began to feel good again. Lucky I had my sunglasses on at this point as the tears were flowing again big time. I remember feeling an overwhelming feeling of being part of a team. The realisation that I was going to make it to the finish started to set in. As the girls got puffed I suggested that they meet me after the finish and plodded on. About 200m from the finish I could hear the finish line cheering and wondered if they could see me walking so started running again!! As I rounded the corner into the finish chute I heard the CR cheersquad going berserk and I lifted a final time - things were going in slow motion at this point. Although I don't think I was running particularly upright, I remember hearing my name being yelled out by a number of voices I recognised and realised that I couldn't focus through the tears behind my sunnies.

A blue gloved hand reached out for me and started to guide me past the finish line. I said I was fine and then wobbled and grabbed the hand rail. The medal was placed around my neck and very soon afterwards placed around Wobblettte #2's neck where it stayed for most of the day!

I can't believe how many lessons I learned on Sunday and not all to do with running. Without the Team Wobbly and CR cheering at various points around the course, and the CR fraternity I am sure it would have been a far less memorable experience for me. I was lucky to be able to start and very fortunate to finish and experience finishing a marathon.

22 Comments:

At 11:27 PM, Blogger Sekhmet said...

(((((Wobbly)))))

Am so proud of you and so happy you did it after all the doubt :) I loved reading through your journey - take a well deserved rest!

Congratulations, you ahould be soooo proud of yourself :)

B xox

 
At 12:29 AM, Blogger Hilda said...

I have tears in my eyes Wobbly!

How a way to achive this goal, just wonderful.
How important the menthal factor was in your race, CONGRATULATIONS!!

I am copying this report as a great source of motivation for my marathon training!!!

Hope you are recovering well and the back is fine!!

 
At 8:24 AM, Blogger Gronk said...

Great run and great post WM. Very well done mate. :)

 
At 10:04 AM, Blogger Lulu said...

I was so pleased we were there to cheer you on and then see you finish! Great stuff WM!

Hope you're not toooooo stiff ;)

 
At 10:31 AM, Blogger Bernie G said...

Congradulations, there is nothing like the feeling of finishing your first marathon. Enjoy it. Look after yourself for the next few days, the recovery is just as important.

 
At 10:37 AM, Blogger 2P said...

Woooohooooo WM you are a Marathon Man!!!!

Fantastic result particularly given the uncertainty of your lead up - well done mate, savour it ;-)

 
At 10:41 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

fantastic stuff duncan! all your hard work has paid off. i must agree the cr community do make it a special day as well as family support. you do need it in the last few kms. enjoy your rest and
have a few cold ones!

 
At 10:54 AM, Blogger Dave said...

Well done on finishing your first marathon Wobbly with far from ideal final prep. Sorry we did not get to chat much, as usual at Canberra lots going on.

 
At 11:22 AM, Blogger Katie said...

Gutsy effort Wob!!! Nice to have finally net you and am sooo glad you said Hi in the first few kms!
Bigger and better things from here marathon man!

 
At 5:13 PM, Blogger Stu Mac said...

Well done Wobbly! A real journey!

Tim told me on Sunday arvo how you had gone, well done!

 
At 7:34 PM, Blogger TA and the Gnome said...

Wobbly - how you ran with you back the way it was I'll never understand, but I do understand that I am mightily impressed! :-0

Congratulations on a gutsy run and a great report. Look forward to seeing you again at another race (note: I didn't say marathon... :-))

Gnome

 
At 2:11 AM, Blogger Spark Driver said...

Great report there. Maybe one day I will write my first marathon blog.

 
At 2:35 AM, Blogger D said...

CONGRATULATIONS! I felt teary as I read this!!!!!

 
At 8:07 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well done Wobbly - a great run and a very memorable report! Great to share some training and part of the run with you!

 
At 8:14 AM, Blogger Tesso said...

What a great report Wob, I think I need to borrow those sunnies :-)

It was good to meet the lovely Mrs Wob, she smiles just as much as you do!!! How incredible it must have been for the Wobbly cheersquad to be there on your special day. The girls must be soooooo proud.

Huuuuuge congrats once again.

YOU ARE A MARATHONER!

 
At 9:24 AM, Blogger Chelle said...

Wow, huge achievement, huge blog... congrats on both :)

 
At 3:55 PM, Blogger Ewen said...

Glad you made it after all your problems Wobbly.

I think that's why marathoners wear sunglasses.

I enjoyed chatting to the Wobblettes and Mrs W - they're a great cheersquad.

 
At 10:43 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wobbly - a truely inspiring blog report on your monumental 1st marathon. Am very proud of you, your guts, determination and sheer perserverance paid off. Way to go!
I can hear the Wobbly team cheering from here, cant imagine just how proud of you they must be!
Well done Bro, your a legend!!
Lots of love
Ali (arty farty sis)

 
At 11:35 AM, Blogger miners said...

Absolutely fantastic effort mate - particularly considering the ordinary turn of luck in the last fortnight.

Congratulations mate - feel proud marathoner :)

 
At 2:45 PM, Blogger Downhillnut said...

Great job on your first marathon, Wobbly! I'm very inspired, and hope I can show as much guts as you later this year.

Great write-up, too!

 
At 7:28 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Oh Wobbly, you've set me off crying again! I didn't know you'd had such a bad time towards the finish, you poor darling thing! Here comes a big hug>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>! Don't ever think that sunglasses are for shading the eyes.....mine are definitely to hide the tears that flow almost from the very start!

Great to meet you, dear Wobbly & hope for the same again somewhere some other time! Get your back & calves back in good health soon!

 
At 9:28 PM, Blogger Jen said...

I'm so sorry that it's taken me so long to catch up on your blog and to fully congratulate you on your achievement....

Congratulations Wobbly. You are a MARATHONER!!! I am so sorry that I couldn't be there to cheer you on but you were certainly in my thoughts :-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home