Sunday, March 26, 2006

Sunday Sri Chinmoy 5k

Since Tuesday, I have run a whopping 14.4km. The intended 10k race this morning was cut short as my lower back pain returned with a vengeance. It originally occurred appeared last Monday while on my long run and until now I have been nursing it hoping it would magically heal given some rest and ample quantities of ibuprofen.

My 10k race started really well and I was though the first km in 4:19 and running in a small group and feeling comfy. By the time I reached the 3kms marker (13:47) even though I was feeling strong and my breathing was well controlled I was enjoying these weird shooting pains through my lower back and left leg. The pain in my back was growing to a point here I needed to modify my stride a little every now and then in an effort to avoid some pain. Thankfully this race is on a 5km loop and at 3.5 k I knew I was in trouble so I put the foot down a little and headed for the 5kms finishing chute.

I'm very happy with my time (Garmin boy says 23:07) but the clock was saying just over 24:00 I think. Whichever it was, each split except the second (4:52) was under 4:45/km pace and I was feeling comfy.

The helping hands massage girls didn't have much of a line of people waiting so I high tailed it over to them and got a good rub down.

Seems like I may have developed a problem with my quadratus lumborum and hip flexors. Or at lest that is what the massage therapists thought. Apparently they need plenty of massage and a bit of rest (well a bit, in so far as that is all they will be able to get for the time being). With the Canberra Marathon just 13 sleeps away - I have most things crossed and am very comfortable about my preparation I just need to get over this lower back thing!

The week ahead is going to be spent on massage tables I suspect. Things could be worse! In the mean time I think I might go and check out the medicine cupboard for some more serious anti-inflammatoryies.

11 Comments:

At 9:49 PM, Blogger Jen said...

All of my pieces are crossed for you Wobbly. HOpefully you can resolve your lower back pain asap.

:-)

 
At 8:06 AM, Blogger Lulu said...

Oh no, not another dodgy back; have you been hanging around the Gnome?

I'm sending positive vibes down to you that it gets better quickly.

 
At 10:13 AM, Blogger CJ said...

Look after that back wobbly - we want to see you fighting fit and on the starting line in 13 days time!

 
At 11:43 AM, Blogger Clairie said...

Wobbly, get straight to a doctor and have some anti-inflams prescribed for you.

The long-term ones are much better for your heart and kidneys than just popping nurofen for days running.

And dont' get so chirpy about laying on the massage table all week - make sure they do pressure point and really get stuck into your glutes and hip flexors. This will ease the pressure off your lower back. I had this done last week and will be back this week. One of the most painful massages I have had.

Apparently my lower back pain was caused by running downhill (I pull my shoulders back to break instead of flying down like a little child).

Best of luck with it and see you in two weeks :)

 
At 12:34 PM, Blogger Katie said...

Lots of good vibes coming your way! 2 weeks taper, lots of stretching and massage will hopefully see you fighting fit! Take care!

 
At 2:55 PM, Blogger RunDave said...

Get into the stretching. Slump stretches and trigger-point releases should do the trick.

 
At 3:40 PM, Blogger Spark Driver said...

Good luck Wobbly. I hope you get all your aches and pains sorted out before your next big race.

 
At 4:33 PM, Blogger 2P said...

Hey WM nice 5k time - if you can do that with a crook back imagine how well you are going to go at Canberra feeling fresh an uninjured :-)

Me? I'd be seeing a chiro ;-)

 
At 8:54 PM, Blogger Tesso said...

What everyone else said Wob. I've been sent so many good vibes, I will divert som your way.

 
At 10:11 PM, Blogger TA and the Gnome said...

You and me both, Wob. It can't have anything to do with all that training now, can it?? Enjoy your massages - I hope you have enough savings to pay for them all :-)

Gnome

 
At 4:05 PM, Blogger Ewen said...

That was a good option Wobbly to stop at 5k. In Canberra if you make it to 30k there's no short-cut so you may as well finish!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home