Monday, March 20, 2006

CCT - Long and ugly

I haven't been sleeping well lately (pre-marathon nightmares) and Sunday's early start and long run quickly disintegrated into a couch potato kind of day with some odd jobs thrown in while the ads were on. I soon talked myself into a day off and then suffered guilt for the remainder of the day thinking this was the first key run I had missed in my marathon program.

I quickly devised a strategy to run today instead, so I have fudged my weekly totals so my training graphs don't look silly - it is only one day, right?

So on my 45th birthday what would be a good thing to do? The Capital City Trail of course! Today was weird - firstly as I started at 1:30pm (normally its at 6:30 or 7:00am and secondly as the Yarra and Docklands were packed with Commonwealth Games spectators. As a result I "show-boated" a bit early (pretending to be a faster runner than I am) and ended up paying for it over the last 10k where I walked, ran, rested and ran. The last 5k were pretty ugly but I made it around in a reasonable time, getting good time on my legs and can now tick off my last long run before my debut Marathon in Canberra (just 19 more sleeps away)!

During last week I got in all scheduled runs despite shuffling rest days around a little.

End of week: 11/14
Scheduled 55.5kms
Run: 55.9kms
Shins: playing up a bit lately
Mood: happy

14 Comments:

At 10:24 PM, Blogger Clairie said...

Oh Wobbly Happy Birthday to you!!!

I hope you had a good run and great rest of the day as well.

Nothing wrong with fudging the program..but uh you're not tricking anyone. We all know you work hard.

Can't wait for all of us Virgin Marathoners to get together in CAnberra....this is going to be one hell of a party!!!

 
At 10:26 PM, Blogger Hilda said...

Happy Birthday Wobbly!!

Good you completed your week as planned!

19 nights more only? woow it is so close!!!!

 
At 11:18 PM, Blogger Tesso said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY WOB!!!!

Good to see that Melbourne crowd come out and watch you run on your big day.

 
At 7:37 AM, Blogger Sekhmet said...

Happy Birthday Wobbly :)

 
At 9:54 AM, Blogger Lulu said...

Happy Birthday Wobbly! What a little show pony you are; you obviously love an audience. I would have been compelled to do the same thing of course :)

 
At 10:26 AM, Blogger Downhillnut said...

Happy Birthday Wobbly! Very cool that you could have all those spectators for your run.

Little Runner and I quite enjoyed watching Kerryn McCann win her marathon on CBC yesterday. I think I will be using the images of her finishing in motivating myself for the next while.

 
At 11:07 AM, Blogger Spark Driver said...

I don't know how you can manage a run along the Yarra at the moment. The city is so busy.

 
At 11:37 AM, Blogger 2P said...

Good to see you enjoyed your birthday in style with a nice run.

Not sure you can fudge the graphs though..... Good job your not a Capricorn!

 
At 11:52 AM, Blogger miners said...

happy birthday again for yesterday Dunc :)

although I think you should have a long, hard look at yourself. What's this totally screwing up in your program all about?? It clearly says that you had scheduled 55.5km for your week, and you've only just gone and run 55.9km, totally ignoring potential injury, and burn-out concerns!

 
At 12:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy birthday old man!! I've scoped out the Warburton Trail for our Canberra recovery run

 
At 12:34 PM, Blogger Katie said...

Happy birthday Wobbly.... march is a good month!!

Good on you for doing yuour run... birthday and all :-)

Not long to go now....

 
At 1:42 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

happy birthday duncan! well done on all your efforts the last couple of months.now to get your race plan together.its a exciting time! remember to rest up and prepare as you taper in the next
2 weeks.looks like the weather may be cold.gloves maybe!for the morning.good luck.

 
At 9:15 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy belated birthday Duncan! Enjoy the taper and don't think too much about the marathon... yet! Plenty of time to get twitchy in the last week.

 
At 1:41 AM, Blogger D said...

Happy Bday Wobbly Man!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home