Sunday, February 26, 2006

Sunday = another 30k long run

I have tried hard to keep focused on diet and sleep this week in an attempt to replicate my successful long run from last Sunday. It worked again and I'm happry to report that today's run was as good as last week.

7am out the door to meet up with Greybeard and Cato. I seemed to settle into a decent rhythm and just ran to my Garmin pace indicator allowing the guys to get a bit ahead of me for most of the run. According to the McMillan calculator my long runs need to be at 6:00/km pace so although I could probably run them faster all the books emphasise the importance of doing them at a comfortable pace. The more I train the more I am realising the importance of the purpose and associated pace of each run. Apart from one long hill at the 26km mark where I put the accelerator down for a km I was very happy just plodding along with Garmin girl keeping me company.

I GU'd at about the 16km mark and again really noticed the difference when going through the 20-25kms. By the time I was hitting 30kms though I was getting fairly tired again. Maybe I should be thinking of a 2 Gu strategy for my marathon? Not having done one before I have no idea what people normally do (suggestions from the blogosphere welcome).

I still haven't made my mind up on a reward for finishing my first marathon (tempting fate by even discussing it I guess). The slab of beer and lots of pizza sound great right now (thanks Spark Driver), but I'm thinking of something lasting that will remind me of my "marathon journey". (maybe two slabs of beeer - lol)

WARNING - UGLY FOOT PHOTO ALERT! WARNING - UGLY FOOT PHOTO ALERT!

Big Toe nail update: Here it is - seems we may be parting company soon...

Aren't you glad you scrolled down now? (Don't say I didn't warn you!)

I'm really looking forward to a little nana-nap this afternoon.

14 Comments:

At 4:26 PM, Blogger Lulu said...

Nothing wrong with those feet that a good pedicure and a french polish won't fix!

 
At 4:52 PM, Blogger Katie said...

Yeah wobbly! Great run!

I have been picking lots of expereinced brains on the striders long runs. Now evry one does it differently... a few people have said they do not use any, but most are saying they use 3-4 over the full distance. Again they all take them at different times eg some at 10, 20, 30 and then if needed. Another really experinece ultra runner said he takes his first at 20km then 25, 30 and 35 ???? what ever you decide maby practice over the next few weeks. I have been taking 2 on my 30km run getting my tummy used to eating them. Some people just use the sports drink. I know another guy who swears by Jelly beans???
I am sure the other marathon gurus will give you some more definte stuff...as like you I have never done it before :-0

 
At 5:59 PM, Blogger Tesso said...

I usually take 3 during a marathon, at around 1hr, then 2hrs, then 3hrs. They usually go down pretty well. Having said that I had one this morning during my long run and felt like chucking for the next 5k!

 
At 7:08 PM, Blogger CJ said...

I have a GU about every 10km in a marathon though most times I don't take the one at 40km - so for me I have 3 GUs. Works for me.

 
At 7:16 PM, Blogger Cirque said...

I'm glad to hear that you had another good run Wobbly.
I'm not sure what sort of weirdo takes photos of his own toes but I'm glad you shared.

 
At 8:58 PM, Blogger 2P said...

Hey WM for big animals you need about 25 to 40 gms of carb per hour so at a minimum I reckon at least 3.

I like the way you say "another 30k" how droll and ordinary - when you gonna do something noteworthy LOL

Great job WM fantastic run.

 
At 9:46 PM, Blogger Clairie said...

Great photo Wobbly!!!

AS for the GU, I am like Tess and take them on the hour as opposed to on the milage. So every 10km in the marathon I will take one.

This morning I did 20km and had a GU that I am sure gave me the mental and physical benefits to keep pushing it. So i definitely plan to be taking them in the marathon. However in my run at Caboolture the Gu I took made me very ill - so make sure you practice and take the same as the one you practice with....they are all different in ingredients and effect!

 
At 8:43 AM, Blogger Hilda said...

Fantastic run you made!
I was using gels on my long runs but now I that I don't struggle AT-ALL and go easy with my pace, I don't use them. Only for intervals or hills like the Mc Millanpage says for long runs.
You are so funny with that warning!

 
At 11:18 AM, Blogger Gronk said...

Another nice long one in the bank WM. Your travelling really great. Don't know about Gu, but do know about manky toes. Mines still is half black. Mine is far uglier than yours. Ner. ;)

 
At 12:18 PM, Blogger miners said...

Great run Wob - but you must give us a little more space on the post before you dump that sort of photo! At least the colour is looking a little better than what I was expecting :)

 
At 12:36 PM, Blogger RunDave said...

C'mon, tear it off, you know you want to. Well done on balancing your long run, sleep and nutrition. It's hard sometimes, but when you nail it, it really is worth it.

 
At 12:44 PM, Blogger RunDave said...

Re Gu. I reckon you should skip the gu and put some powerade/gatorade out on the marathon course every 5 or 10 km. This will give you hydration, electrolytes and energy and it is a bit easier to stomach. Make up your own in throw-away 500ml bottles and you can drink as much or as little as you want.

Re Reward. If you're into them, get a tattoo, now that is lasting.

 
At 2:59 PM, Blogger speedygeoff said...

GUs? Never have, never will.

Not just in slow long runs. Couldn't possibly in fast long runs. Fortunately the electrolytic drink suffices.

That calculator is cool.

 
At 10:04 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Way to go Wobbly.. what a sensational week you have had!! Seems to me your preparations will stand you in very good stead for the Canberra run. I know you will do well!

As to the toe photo.. it wasnt the nail that was the terrifying part, more the redish hairyness on your toes and foot... have you ever considered waxing???

As to a comemorative idea, I like the tattoo suggestion... maybe the Australian Coat of Arms with wobbly 2006 underneath?? *hehe* or maybe your running man logo with Canberra 06?? If the tattoo idea is too way out, what about a luxurious weekend spa retreat for you, Mrs Wobbly and the Wobbletts?

Keep on running Bro!
Love Ali (totally un-sporty sister but great admirer of Wobbly's determination and courage!)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home