Sunday, February 12, 2006

Long run chats

Hmm, the end of another week of marathon training and man am I tired! I think my body is taking longer to adapt to the longer kms than most peoples do due to the many years of abject neglect and abuse.

25kms was the required distance this morning and even though it was lovely and cool along the bay early this morning when we started, it really warmed up quickly and I was quite hot and bothered towards the end.

I ran with Cato and Greybeard for the first two thirds of the run down to Mordialloc. We talked a lot about the (Canberra Marathon as we ran and before we knew it we were down past pakdale and had run into a triathlon which was really interesting. (Cirque, I was thinking of you and C1 - wondering how you two were going!) Having never seen one close up, I was amazed at the expensive equipment everywhere and the frenetic activity in the transition area - it was an enduro one with three goes at each discipline and all I could think of was how confused I would be in the transitions wondering what I had to do next! There were lots of people yelling what to do though so I guess being a conformist I would do as I was told and rely on them knowing.

The pace with Ron and Rob was a good solid one averaging my dream marathon pace and I was felt reasonably comfortable doing it. Being a perpetual social butterfly, when we bumped into Ian and Sue on the way back (who were on their way out) I switched trains and jumped onto their's and ran with them for another 5kms or so. Rob and Ron were having a step back week so were going shorter than I needed to.

Once I got to about the 20km mark I really felt fatigued and once again needed a three walk breaks over the last 5km. I managed to finish the last 2kms running so I guess I should be pleased eough with that. It is starting to niggle me that I haven't had a strong long run for three runs :( The heat and giving blood haven't helped I guess.

Fingers crossed next week I will be able to muster up some more energy to go the distance strongly on my planned 30k long run! Capital City Trail I hope! Hopefully the digital camera will be fixed and I can take it with me this time.

End of week 6 (of a 14 week program)
Kms planned: 61
Kms run: 60.5
Shin pain: 2/5 (no worse thanks to ice and ibuprofen)
Big toe nail pain: 0/5 (but starting to turn an odd colour)
Summary: All planned runs completed this week
Mood: good

7 Comments:

At 5:41 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hmm, Capital City Trail or Maroondah Dam...I'm still in two minds!
Glad you guys had fun

 
At 6:21 PM, Blogger Clairie said...

Wobbly as you know giving blood will wipe you out for weeks - especially in the longer runs. Not to mention your'e sleeping badly.

Take it easy with any speedwork this week and do some gentle km so you will repair and refresh for your 30km run next Sunday.

Will wait for the piccies. PS. we want a before and after WObbly shot!!

 
At 7:36 PM, Blogger Katie said...

Tired... I hear you Wobbly!!! I have been inventing new words to describe how tired I feel! My hubbie cracks up...as the clock hits 8pm my eyes start to glaze over :-) You mut get used to it sooner or later.... haha about april! You are going great guns.... just wait til the lack of blood clears up and you will feel great!

 
At 7:52 PM, Blogger Cirque said...

Patience Grasshopper. It will all fall into place when the time comes. Just keep putting in the k's and stay injury free!

 
At 8:16 PM, Blogger 2P said...

Good onya Wobbly - as Deek (or ws it Mono's?) said - "marathoners go to bed exhausted and wake up tired"!

Sounds to me like your doing it right ;-)

 
At 11:30 AM, Blogger Robert Song said...

I don't think it is necessary to do your long runs at "dream marathon pace". It is OK to do them at less than your MP. This may help if you are feeling tired from the increased work rate.

 
At 4:18 PM, Blogger CJ said...

I agree with 2P's comment - that saying is sooo true! Tired and exhausted are 2 words I'm very familiar with lately!

Take it easy and you'll be firing on all cylinders again!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home