Saturday, January 21, 2006

Saturday long run

Okay, I confess! I am a wimp and I don't like running in hot conditions. A didn't run on Wednesday because I was too tired after the tennis, Thursday because it was too hot, Friday becuase it was too hot and tomorrow is also forecast to get to 41 degrees (way too hot).

Today I felt was my only realistic opportunity to do my long run in temperatures less than 25 degrees so it was up early and out along the coastal trail to Point Ormond and back - total 27.1 kms (that was 3kms more than my program suggested but because I have been a bit slack this week I thought I had better pay the price). I started okay at 6:30am and was at Point Ormond 13.5km turnaround averaging 6min/kms and without having had a rest stop. The trouble was it was already about 22 degrees by then and my fuel belt was nearly empty already. Plodding back in the heat I kept checking Garmin Girl wishing the kms away. I walked a couple of times when I felt like I needed to - its much easier to take a walk when running on your own I have found (unfortunately) and I see little point bursting a "fooffer valve" in a training run. It was getting quite hot by 9:30am (towards the end of my run) with a hot Northerly wind picking up. Its now midday and already 36+ degrees. One odd thing I noticed was that every km that was a prime number I began feeling tired and lethargic. What does that say about my numerology I wonder? Anyone?

To those interested in the Paul Frank clothes stand progress - you will have to wait until the digital camera is fixed but suffice to say it is coming along okay. You too A Running Girl re-the fridge photo tag (you may regret that one!!

Also for those that asked, the tennis was great, perfect weather, I ate lots of food (including 6 deserts) and drank lots of beer and watched Martina Hingis, Kym Clisters and Leighton Hewitt play. I didn't get home until after 1pm though so it was a late night given I had been up since 5am that morning for a run.

Seems I have also been tagged by Hilda so in response to your tag;
1) What were you doing 10 years ago? I wasn't running at all. I was heavily into Hang Gliding and our first bub was only 6 months old - and knew nothing about raising kids - I wonder how she ever survived!
2) 5 snacks you enjoy? Plain almonds, salted cashews, Corn Thins, plain yoghurt and smoked oysters
3) 5 songs you know all the words to? Any Mental as Anything song.
4) 5 things I’d do as a millionaire? Pay off the house, pay off all family member's mortgages, go on a cruise with the family and then another little one with just Mrs Wobbly and myself and get someone to do every little job I have to do on the house and buy the new Garmin (oops that's 6).
5) 5 things you like doing? Time out with the family (when they are in good moods and not tired), running, eating, drinking, time with friends.

Who do I tag now? The Owl

4 Comments:

At 2:12 PM, Blogger Sekhmet said...

I have to agree with you on the heat - I was supposed to train today and tried to get up at 5.30am (I start work at 8am on a Saturday), it was so dark though! Then I thought I'd go later this evening but remembered I have to go out for dinner. Coach has given me tomorrow as rest day because of the heat, so now I feel terrible that I won't be doing ANY running at all this weekend :( Oh well, fresher legs for Monday I guess :)

Enjoy your weekend!

 
At 5:05 PM, Blogger 2P said...

Wow big run wobbles - well done!

I looove running in the heat, but yes 41 degrees is waaaay to hot for a long run.

Oooooo new Garmin!!!! Can't wait till it arrives ;-)

 
At 8:34 PM, Blogger CJ said...

Running in hot weather is no fun at all - so you did well.

You are a person after my own heart Wobbly - 6 desserts! I like it!

 
At 10:58 AM, Blogger Gronk said...

Hot weather - yuk. I don't blame you mate.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home