Saturday, January 14, 2006

Saturday Long Run

I am playing golf tomorrow so I slipped my long run in today instead of the usual Sunday. Poor Holly looked so sad that she was being left behind with her nose pressed against the window...

Running a long run alone today I knew I would be challenged mostly by my brain rather than my body, so I made a point of staying at a comfy 6:00/km pace for the first half of the run and made a point of enjoying the scenery. I ran down to Elwood beach following the coastal trail and on the way back noticed a wedding about to happen at Green Point. Great spot for a wedding - here is the view/backdrop they had while they were surrounded by old and large Cyprus pines on one side and the bay on the other.

This was happening at about km #17 so the slacker part of my brain had no trouble convincing my running brain to stop/rest have a drink and stretch and also have a little sticky beak at the guests that were all dressed up and milling around waiting for the bride to arrive (the groom looked very nervous). Seems like handkerchief hems are all the fashion for big occasions huh? I noticed a runner that I had passed earlier on my run about to pass me so I took off and thought about weddings for a while (I love going to weddings - just not mine).

At about 22kms I stopped in a little park for a small rest and a good stretch and then plodded my way home realising I had miscalculated the turnaround point in Elwood as consequently was 1 km short but was too stuffed physically and mentally to care. My brain does not function at all well on long runs (no comments from the gallery thank you)!

Its a good confidence booster to have completed that run on my own and its nice to have my long run out of the way so early on the weekend so I can enjoy a drink or two tonight - not that I have anything on and Mrs Wobbly is heading out with the girls for a night out in St.Kilda (insert violin music).

Week 2/14 completed; both weeks completed okay and my wicked shin hasn't gotten any worse (touching wood). Time to ice...

I promised Wobblette #1 I would make here a "Paul Frank" clothes stand this afternoon if she helped me - that should be interesting! Pictures may follow if ever completed...

10 Comments:

At 2:53 PM, Blogger Tesso said...

Well done this morn Wob.

Nothing wrong with stopping to check out a wedding. Thanks for the fashion critique :-)

 
At 6:08 PM, Blogger Cirque said...

Looks like a beautiful spot for a wedding WM. I'm glad your shins are bearing up OK. Maybe you should pop into chat if you're home alone tonight and see if anyone is around.

 
At 8:49 PM, Blogger Jen said...

Thanks for the wedding report Wobbly. I love weddings too - hopefully including my own ;-)

Glad to hear the shins are ok. Good on you for getting your long run done early in the week.

Jxx

PS I'm in Melbourne next weekend but unfortunately it doesn't look like I'll be able to run :-(

 
At 9:43 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What's a handkerchief hem??

We'll miss you. I will have to try and keep Rob down to a reasonable pace on my own!

 
At 9:59 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Lovely scene, Wobbly! What is a "Paul Frank" clothes stand?? I'll keep looking for when you post the photo.

And no shin problems, please...it's getting too close to Canberra marathon for that sort of nonsense!

 
At 11:43 PM, Blogger Hilda said...

Great distance you ran today! This is just the second week of the training, I'll follow this.
I can say my brain doesn't work as usual after long runs.
I combine running at the beach and the hotel area that has 2.6 miles around. A nice place.

Have fun playing golf!

 
At 12:17 PM, Blogger Katie said...

Those long ones on your own are great for the mental toughness!!! Good on you! Wow you know what a handkerchief hem is??? Very impressive! I hope you played well today :-)

 
At 5:17 PM, Blogger Lulu said...

Obviously having daughter brings out the feminine side! I have no idea what a Paul Frank stand is either.. or a hankerchief hem.

Glad to see you like a good wedding too!

Oh yeah and a good run as well :)

 
At 8:24 PM, Blogger 2P said...

You sure are racking up the k's for January WM.

Imagine all the girls not knowing that a hnadkerchief hem is one that comes down to a point and - er isn't Paul Franks the label that does the cute doggy prints (amongst others).

 
At 9:19 PM, Blogger Gronk said...

Nup, you've lost me on the Paul Franks stuff WM.

Regarding your message on my blog, the Dyads are unknown to me. I found a link that said that they are for "the biomechanically efficient flat footer". Don't know if thats you or not !

Link is here:

http://www.runningtimes.com/shoes/05web/05brooks.htm

 

Post a Comment

<< Home