Sunday, December 11, 2005

I was once so proud of you....

... my September '05 10k PB! Unfortunately for you though (and happily for me), you are now being tossed out and have been replaced by a better PB! Although I worked hard to earn you my "old PB" friend, you have served your purpose and so its now out onto the lonely streets of PB history - soon to be forgotten by all but me.

Today started well without any shin pain and a quick piece of toast a check of the weather and I was out the door.

An easy warm up jog with Greybeard and a plenty of hellos to fellow Cool Runners, a quick few moments to focus and we were off. I foolishly stayed in the middle of the pack for the first 300m and was slowed a little but by the 2nd km I was settled into a good rhythm and feeling good. Hindsight - they say its a wonderful thing and let me tell you it is! I wish I had taken the time to drink something before toeing the start line between the time I woke up and the start of the race. I thought about my thirst for ages and how dry my mouth and then throat were. I walked through a drink stop at km 6 and lost my rythm for a while while the guy I was sort of comfortably running behind slipped away from me and joined a small pack that were just easing away from me the rest of the journey.

I ended up running most of the second lap alone but surprisingly managed to gather my thoughts and focus on breathing correctly.

Garmin Splits
Lap 1 4:43, 4:47, 4:52, 4:48, 4:58
Lap 2 5:11, 4:55, 4:47, 4:59, 4:46

Apart from split #6 where I lost the plot I am stoked with my splits!

I usually have a strong finish but today I was sooo tired it just wasn't there to draw on - I guess it was starting to warm up a bit too. I gave everything I had left in the last 700m and when I looked up at the clock it was 48:53 tick, tick, tick (push hard! more!) it seemed so far away and was almost ticking in slow motion - I slipped past the line with the clock ticking onto 48:59 and was unable to say a word to anyone for a couple of minutes.

So Go Girl, you may have won our blogging challenge (this time) but I have to confess I am not feeling at all like a loser! In fact, I am feeling rather chuffed with myself having sliced off 34 seconds from my now redundant but only 3 month old PB. Thanks for your best wishes over this challenge everyone!

The rest of the year will all be easy runs and a bit of rest to get over any niggles (I hope you are listening right shin!). My Marathon debut training starts in earnest in January.

13 Comments:

At 4:43 PM, Blogger Bennyr said...

Top effort, Wobbly Man.

There is something special about a PB that ends in :59. Impressive splits too.

Well done.

 
At 5:07 PM, Blogger 2P said...

Wow a sparkly new 34 second PB woooohooooo :-)

Well done WM that is a fantastic improvement in just 3 months with dodgy shins.

Looking forward to following you Marathon training ;-)

 
At 5:37 PM, Blogger Lulu said...

Well done WM. Perhaps that optimistic thinking did the trick! That's a great achievement considering you've a slightly dodgy shin. Next stop the marathon!

 
At 6:17 PM, Blogger Tesso said...

Wob, that is so exciting!!! Big congratulations. Enjoy that little rest, you deserve it.

Looking forward to comparing Canberra training strategies.

 
At 9:07 PM, Blogger Gronk said...

Onya WM ! What great way to finish the year !

 
At 7:45 AM, Blogger Jen said...

Woohoo!!!

Congratulations Wobbly (*standing ovation) on your latest PB.

All your hard work certainly paid off. I'm looking forward to following your marathon journey

J.

 
At 1:28 PM, Blogger Steve's Stuff said...

From one new pb'er (me) to another (you) congratuations. Our group photo is in my blog.

I've checked your data at MotionBased, did you forget to turn off Mr. Garmin at the end.

Looking forward to some of those runs you're planning, I'm still interested.

 
At 6:24 PM, Blogger Cirque said...

Good on you Wobbles. I knew all your hard work would pay off. If you don't want your old PB, I'm sure there are lots of people out there that would love to have it.

 
At 10:37 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

well done my friend *hugs*

 
At 11:50 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great way to end the year Duncan - what's this about a marathon ...?

Have a great new year, see you around.

Eat 'Em

 
At 2:17 PM, Blogger CJ said...

Woohoo - well done Wobbly! You should be feeling really pleased with your effort - a PB is a PB is a PB!!!! Have a well earned rest because we want to see you in Canberra in April!

 
At 5:29 PM, Blogger miners said...

Hey - great news mate! Fantastic to see you sneak in a great result before year's end Dunc - and now you just have to find a new challenge for yourself and GG!

 
At 4:04 PM, Blogger Stu Mac said...

Congratulations, a PB......

excellent

 

Post a Comment

<< Home