Sunday, November 13, 2005

Olympic Dream cheering

This morning my shins were particularly unhappy - they wouldn't allow me to walk without considerable pain. I'm not sure why they are so bad all of a sudden but I will take a few days off and see how they feel.

I had a whole lot of fun (once the Neorofen kicked in) with the kids cheering the Olympic Dream runners this morning. Running is such an interesting sport - it is such an acutely personal challenge that we undertake yet we do it in public. The most rewarding cheering (apart from the awesome cool runners going by) was when the 60+ minute runners were coming past - the pain/determnination on some of those faces was inspiring and the ones that looked like they were doing it the toughest all managed to say thank you and gave a big smile for the kids as we stood there waving our pom poms about. The kids got such a buzz out of that! We followed the cheering with milkshakes and pancakes at Joe's Garage. (If there is a better way to spend a sunny Sunday morning with the girls I would like to hear it).

I will try a very light/short run again on Wednesday I think to see how things feel. Lots of ice and calf raises in the mean time. With my training for Canberra '06 commencing I don't want to be starting with problems so I will be careful for a while.

What did I say recently on Jen's blog? Something about the highs and lows of running? Its just as well the highs are so high!

8 Comments:

At 11:10 PM, Blogger Jen said...

Finally - a reference to your Canberra plans ;-)

With the great 10km challenge coming up very soon, I hope your shins settle down and behave themselves quickly.

And yes, I agree. Thank goodness for the highs associated with running :-)

J.

 
At 11:40 PM, Blogger Cirque said...

Wobbly, I'm so glad you're treasuring these moments. You're right! I can't think of a better way to spend a sunny Sunday.

 
At 8:45 AM, Blogger Gronk said...

Lets hope your only a short term member of the shin club WM. Rest up and ease your way back into it mate. :)

 
At 5:27 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Take care of those shins, Wobbly; I want to see them looking good in 2006!

 
At 4:11 PM, Blogger CJ said...

Oh no - will this affect your 10km challenge with Go Girl? Hope all relevant body parts are feeling much better.

As for your perfect Sunday morning, I agree - though I'm more a coffee person myself!

 
At 9:57 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear about the shins Wobblyman, I know how you feel! There is light at the end of the tunnel though, it took about 5 months rest and alot of calf stretching but I'm now splint free!
Thanks for the support at the OD, I finished just on 60 minutes so I assume I looked like I was about to die!

Drapes

 
At 12:44 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

hey wobbly...sorry to hear the shins were playing up! Big hugs for you and the wobblettes cheering efforts!

 
At 3:14 PM, Blogger CJ said...

Wobbly - where are you? Now is not the time to go AWOL! Did you manage to get hold of your Garmin? How are the calves holding up? Hope everything is ok.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home