Monday, November 21, 2005

Echuca wobbling

Well a week break from running has been frustrating to say the least! Especially since reading about Go Girly's great lead up run to her 10K PB attempt! I have been struck down with shin-splints again and I thought the best investment would be a full week off running to see them right.

I know a few readers of this blog may not believe this, but it was just pure coincidence that the weekend we went to Echuca for a family mini-break just happened to coincide with Echuca's annual YMCA Sweat V's Steam 13k fun run. I swear it was a co-incidence... really!

The shins had been completely pain free for two days so on Saturday morning I went exploring by way of a 1hr easy run and dropped into the best visitor's centre in the free world to grab an entry form. (highly recommended for both info and accom advice). I ran back to the motel without any problems and had a dip in the pool to shut down any shin swelling and hoped for the best. After slipping into town in the afternoon for an ice-cream with the eldest and submitting an entry form ($15 entry - includes 2 for 1 drink at the pub - and a slap up breakfast - sausage and egg and an orange after the race) I was set for the 13k race against the oldest paddle steamer in Australia.

Bumped into Cool Runner GT near the start and quickly realised he was planning a faster trip than myself. I ran mostly alone and enjoyed the bush trails and looking over my shoulder when the paddlesteamer blew its haunting steam whistle. I ran with the YMCA club president for a couple of kms and she got me through my inevitable tough patch (thanks Chris). At about 4 kms to go I was feeling strong again and I slowly reeled in a few runners that were starting to lag. I finished strongly in 1:02:44 which is about a 4:50 pace!! That is even faster than my recent 10k pub and equates to nearly the pace I need to do to get near the Go Chick's bright and shiny, awesome, new PB of 48:16.

Trouble is my shins are reminding me of their displeasure again and I think I need to go easy for a few days with just super light training runs.

Some more good news! The wobbly dog (Holly) is home again after her 9 week breeding escapades and is desperate to get out the door with me. She will be perfect with my new (as yet un-named) Garmin buddy.

Thanks to everyone who has offered encourageing words of support through the last week or so - it really does help to keep your spirits up (that and buying another running toy anyway)!

7 Comments:

At 11:21 PM, Blogger 2P said...

Sounds like a good run WM I like the sound of haunting steam whistles - the Garmin and the wobbly dog should get on fine.... maybe you could call the Garmin Pal?

As for beating GG's new PB well have a go.... can't hurt :-)

 
At 7:51 AM, Blogger Gronk said...

Good to see your on top of things WM. You mexicans like to chase things don't you ? Paddle Steamers, Steam Trains - both of which sound like heaps of fun !

 
At 7:51 AM, Blogger Jen said...

Nice work Wobbly. Look after those shins this week and GG's brand shiny new PB will be in trouble ;-)

J

 
At 9:34 AM, Blogger Lulu said...

Sounds like a great run WM. I think Ms GG needs to watch out! Hope the shins hold out. My physio told me I'm on the verge of shin splints so there's a lot of icing and stretching going on at the Lulu household at the moment. I'm really looking forward to seeing you in a couple of weeks.

 
At 2:52 PM, Blogger CJ said...

Welcoem back Wobbly, and may I say that's an impressive time you did in Echuca. Take care of those shins/calves and enjoy your new toy!

 
At 6:22 PM, Blogger Cirque said...

Glad you're OK W.
Why did only one child get the ice-cream? Things a bit tough in wobbly land?

 
At 8:59 PM, Blogger Hannah said...

Great time!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home