Sunday, October 09, 2005

Melb Half '05

Where do I start with this one?

I had a great lead up with this race and tapered pretty well. I am not so sure that I should have done the track work quite so hard on Thursaday (yes Tim - I should have listened to your advice more closely).

Slept surprisingly well - almost too well, and had to rush a bit to get to the start line on time which is all of 2.5 kms away!

I started well, albeit by myself, and at the first km mark I was up on time by about 30secs and starting to settle into a good rythm. I soon reealised I had messed up my watch settings and couldn' t get splits or cumulative totals. I found myself following a blondish ponytail (with short red shorts) which was keeping my pace a little fast and by Brighton Bathes (half way) I was about 1:30 mins up on my expected half way time. A big hooray from the Lost boys was received at about the 16k mark- thanks Ian and Sue! I took my one and only gel at the 14km mark and hoped for the best knowing that I was likely to struggle soon. By the 18km mark I took a short walk break. Once I hit St. Kilda Rd - I was wondering how far it was to go and had forgotten what the last km mark was so I just kept trying to maintain a pace that kept me with the runners around me. Once I "rounded" the shrine I upped my pace and finished with very little left in my tank.

The run down St Kilda Rd was great. The atmosphere towards the line was awesome and I well to a 1:51:03.

Catching a few CR's finishing their halves was great then Greybeard pointed me toward the baggage collection - a quick change, followed by a coffee and muffin (intertwined with capsicum spray) and we headed toward the finish line to see the 3:30-4:00hr runners finish. Those marathon finishers have my absolute respect.

Transpot was open by this stage so we headed over with Blue boy and family for a rehydration session. I had a birthday party drinks session to head to and to be honest if I had another schooner I was likely to fall over, so it was onto the train with Greybeard and Cato for a train ride home.

It was a great day for me (second fastest 1/2 mara) and one that reminds me why it is that I get up early to do my training runs! Thanks to all who yelled and supported me along the way- you lot are awesome.

To all the (too many to mention individually) interstate CR's who made it down - you guys rock! Most it seemed had a good run and I look forward to seing you at Canberra or Gold Coast next year!

8 Comments:

At 11:12 PM, Blogger Horrie said...

Great run today WM in tough conditions. Thanks also to the hospitality you showed towards all the interstate Cool Runners. It is you guys who rock. Well done!

 
At 7:33 AM, Blogger Katie said...

Congratulations on your run...especially if it was as windy as I heard!!

 
At 8:18 AM, Blogger Tesso said...

Well done Wob! It sounded like such a tough day with all that wind.

Canberra or Gold Coast - woohoo!!!!

 
At 9:10 AM, Blogger Jen said...

Well done on your run Wobbly in what sounds like really tough conditions.

J

PS The cheersquad WILL be in Canberra next year - if that makes your decision any easier ;-)

 
At 2:27 PM, Blogger CJ said...

Well done - you should be pleased with your effort. Look forward to seeing you in Canberra!

 
At 2:50 PM, Blogger Lulu said...

Congrats WM.. sounds like a big day of running and drinking!

 
At 5:39 PM, Blogger Carolyne said...

Great report WM, and an excellent run! May all your future races be led by a swishing blond ponytail and short red shorts in future!

Wish I was there to cheer you guys along - next time!

 
At 6:07 PM, Blogger Gronk said...

Well done WM. Sounds like you had a great day.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home