Sunday, September 25, 2005

Sri Chinmoy 10k race - New PB!

As usual a poor night's sleep waking in the middle of the night thinking I might have overslept didn't start the day terribly well but after picking up Grey beard at sparrow's I soon got excited as we talked tactics for getting me under the 50min "barrier". Stride length over the last 2 kms, flicking feet and whatever the other one was were all suggested and tried (and quickly forgotten) as I stuck pretty much to my game plan of even splits of about 5:00min/km and then try to finish hard with nothing left in the tank.

I started at a "blistering: 4:41 (ikes! - I was going to die at this pace) and then backed off to 5min kms trying to add or subtract from my early 20sec buffer along the way - trouble was that after about 4kms I couldn't remember the previous total so I just tried hard to stay on 5min/km pace while using other runners to aid my pacing effort. Looking at my splits I think they are the most even I have managed to date.

Splits were:
Lap 1 - 4:41, 5:09, 4:53, 5:00, 5:00 = 24:45
Lap 2 - 5:00, 5:13, 4:57, oops?, 9:38 = 24:48
Total = 49:33!!

I was pretty stuffed at the end and am so over the moon about my new 10km PB that its already time for a shower and a beer and some salted cashews!

Quite a big turnout of CR's too - the bunch seems to be growing and getting tighter. Thanks to all who yelled words of encouragement to me over the journey - you all helped a lot!

Next run: Monday AM 9.4 easy

9 Comments:

At 6:36 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Wobbly, how wonderful! Congratulations on your new PB & well under at that! If you keep improving like this, I won't be able to pass you in Canberra next year!!

 
At 8:28 PM, Blogger Robert Song said...

Top effort Wobbly. You must have finished strongly with that 9:38 last 2k. Great pacing.

Your blog title now comes up in Bloglines as ".". Hope it doesn't get confused with CR Spot. ;-)

 
At 8:18 AM, Blogger Jen said...

Woohoo!! Sensational effort Wobbly. Congratulations on finally breaking the 50mins barrier. Well done.

J.

 
At 10:13 AM, Blogger Tesso said...

Congrats Wob!!!!

It must to see the Melbourne branch of CoolRunning gaining stength. I reckon the Sunday Wobbles must have a lot to do with that.

 
At 11:44 AM, Blogger Lulu said...

Fantastic news WM.. perhaps some of your PB magic will rub off on me when I come down to do my 10km race in December..Well done.. all that hard work is paying off.

 
At 6:27 PM, Blogger Cirque said...

I wish I could have been there to wave some pom poms for you Wobbly. Congrats on a fantastic run.

 
At 10:34 PM, Blogger TA and the Gnome said...

That's so cool, WM. Congrats.

sfG

 
At 6:55 AM, Blogger Ben, aka BadBen said...

Good going! Keep on running.

 
At 11:56 AM, Blogger Carolyne said...

Bit slow on catching up, WM, Great stuff cracking the 5 minute barrier!

Love the banner. Very Man From Uncle.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home