Sunday, August 07, 2005

Half on the Park


It was really cold this morning and for some odd reason I thought it would be a good idea to wear shorts and a singlet! Got out of the car at the venue and wondered what ever possesed me to think I wouldn't be cold dressed like this. A quick hello to the CRs and I slinked over to the massage ladies for a quick leg rub.

Before I knew it we were being marshalled to the start and were off - the sound of 50 or so watches beeping as the stop watches were started made me smile - what techno junkies we all are!

After a busy start, lost boy and I managed to have the four of us on time after the first km split. I figured that a rather svelt young lady with pony tail was travelling at the right pace up ahead so I eased up behind her and her partner as the headwind was making it hard going. I stayed with them for three of the four 5km laps until they sped off in search of the 15km finish. After looking around and realising I was on my own I concluded that I needed to catch someone so I didn't have to face the headwind on the last leg. I think this paid strategy paid off well and I even took the lead half way so they could draft off me if the wanted to.

I felt strong and happy to be able to maintain the pace most of the way. I even managed to not be passed over the last 4kms and actually past a few myself (quite a novelty) towards the end. I know there are better times ahead if I can keep this training up and don't get impatient with myself.

I stuffed up my splits toward the end of the race but what I do have are:

1st 5km 5:32, 5:11, 6:21, 5:01, 5.11 = 27:16 (loop 1)
2nd 5km 5:06, 5:14, 6:13, 4:45, 5:13 = 26:47 (loop 2)
3rd 5km 5:01, 5:06, 6:08, 4:56, 5:14 = 26:35 (loop 3)
4th 5km 5:52, 5:16, 5:00, 5:07, 5:23 = 27:08 (loop 4)
1:1 5:23
Total 1:53:09 I think - but the last couple of splits are guesses..

(looks like the 3rd km marker might have been out of place)

So much for my promise to SloJo to make sure she got over the line! At least she was well supported by the Lost boys who all managed to come in around the 1:58 mark. Well done Jo - I wish I had your determination!

Thanks to all for the good wishes leading into this race - it really helps.

It was also great to see a good turnout of CR's today with some new (and not so new) faces to to say g'day to.

A paticularly big thank you to dad for making a surprise cheer squad visit! Thanks dad - the last loop was made easier knowing you had come out to see me run (particularly on such a cold morning)!

11 Comments:

At 4:14 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes I watched with envy

"Old man Wobbly"

 
At 5:27 PM, Blogger Jen said...

Congratulations Wobbly on a great run on such a cold morning. I'm really looking forward to meeting you this week!! See you next Sunday. J

 
At 5:34 PM, Blogger TA and the Gnome said...

Well done on a good run. It's always nice to pass people especially towards the end. C u at c2s.

TA

 
At 5:48 PM, Blogger Carolyne said...

Great News WM, I'm swelling with pride!

A good run, a good time and I'm hoping that we can catch up next weekend!

 
At 9:42 AM, Blogger CJ said...

Excellent! You ran really well so must be looking forward to C2S, as we all are! Might see you there!

 
At 12:26 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Great run Wobbly! Even better knowing that your shins are happy with the run too!

 
At 2:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bloody impressive Duncan....enjoyed the read and good luck in Sydney. Watch out for those pony tailed young uns.....theycause a traffic accident and put you off your running....or keep your mind off your pain at the very least!

Brother Bob

 
At 2:56 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wobbly, you're a legend! I'm looking forward to our next long run but I think I'll be struggling to keep up with you. I still can't wipe the smile off my face for going sub-hours though. Thanks for all your support. Yaaaaay!

 
At 8:05 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Just caught up with your post, Wobbly....great run; super-great pic! Now I'll know who to look out for as I speed past in the C2S on Sunday!!

 
At 12:58 PM, Blogger Gronk said...

Strong finish WM. Well done mate. Rest up for Sunday, I'll be cheering for you !

 
At 6:28 PM, Blogger Robert Song said...

Congratulations on a well run race and good pacing. Keep it up that that Half PB is not that far away.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home