Monday, August 15, 2005

2005 City 2 Surf (long - sorry)

Oh my gawd! What a great weekend I just had! A friend recommended that I run the C2S a year or so ago on the basis that it was a great run to do just for fun. I approached it that way and it certainly didn't disappoint!

Picked up at the hairyport and chauffered to Kirribilli by the lovely Owl - drinks on the deck with her and superwoman (aka Jen) and then over to Leichhardt to meet the equally lovely Caro. This was followed by a rather forgettable meal with great company and an unusual steamed vegetable desert at a pub with more CRs . Sparkie - I'm sure glad you knew where the pub was mate as none of us had any idea where you were going! Fortunately for me it was time to go before I had too many "schooners" and after a fun bus ride back to the city chatting with Cook Islander driver, I managed to get back to my digs at the yacht club to find a wedding party in full swing directly under my bedroom - the joys of staying at a yacht club I guess (no, I am not complaining!). Fortunately it was over by about midnight so I did get some sleep.

Breakfast wasn't on until 8am so it was off to meet Jen and Mr Jen at Kirribilli for a stroll across the bridge to the race start. I foraged around the shops in Kirribilli and devoured a half ripe banana for breakfast while waiting for Jen and Dean. I think Dean Jen and I solved most of the problems of the western world by the time we got to the start on the other side of the Sydney Harbour Bridge (all except why Ricky Ponting is still retaining the captaincy of the Aust. cricket team anyway).

We quickly found Lulu, Caro and Owly and I retireved my race pack and hat and we jumped into a portaloo line which was possibly the slowest moving portaloo line I have ever been in - but at least it took our mind off how cool it was. Jumpers and and excess clothes tossed (for the charities) before the start we were soon away at a blistering 27 then 12min/km! Then it slowed a bit and I soon realised my task was to find a path though the walkers for the others to follow. Ducking, weaving and even elbowing a few walkers out of the way we meandered down to Double Bay where a Beetles cover band was playing on top of a hotel verandah. Not much time to dance but it reminded me that I was here for fun (and attempt to pace two superwomen). Heartbreak hill seemed to come and go without too much drama for any of us so I started with my distraction techniques to get the girls off thinking about how tired they might be feeling fromHeart Break Hill. What is the name of this suburb? How much is a house around here? What would you like to eat right now ... or later? That worked for about a km and by then I think the girls knew they had it in the bag as when I stopped to adjust a shoe lace they took off and I needed all the speed my little legs could muster just to catch up. At this point I tried to talk an Ambulance driver into giving me a lift but he wouldn't even wind down his window to hear my plea. A few down hill bits and we soon realised all realised we had this run beat so "on the run" pinky promises were made to finish together and we sped down hill towards the finish only to nearly lose the Owl who had spied the Cheer Squad and was attempting to skittle every runner in her way to get high fives from the very impressive (although musically challenged) CR cheersquad.

Only a few hundred meters further we picked up Lulu and we all managed to cross the line together! What a run! What an experience!

A quick cool down and Sparkie promply led us to the Sydeny Striders "tent" where I met so many CR's that my brain started to spin! A quick cuddle from Lucky Legs (yes, I am a very lucky Wobbly) and a few photos and we were off to the pub to practice rehydration techniques and few more photos!

The need for food was overwhelming by about 4:30pm so Owl led us all to a very humerous and hearty feast of wood-fired anchovies on pizza bases. This was followed by a successful search for Gelato. We then moved on to Owl's nest and enjoyed a quiet cuppa while we enoyed some Kiwi folk music from some of Owl's fellow countrymen above.

Realising we were all pretty tired we headed back home and I walked across the harbour bridge enjoying the memories of my day and back once again to my temp digs!

To all of you who made me feel so very welcome - thank you. I can't wait for my next running trip and catching up with so many of you again!

11 Comments:

At 8:23 AM, Blogger TA and the Gnome said...

Wobbly, it was great to meet you and I'm glad the girls looked after you so well. Next time you must come to run club with us :-).

TA

 
At 9:33 AM, Blogger Jen said...

Wobbly, it is lovely to finally to meet you. I'm glad we were able to share our first C2S experience!! Thank you. J

BTW - I'd didn't realise that your questions at the time were designed to distract us. Haha. Doh.

 
At 11:03 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Wobbly, a wonderful account of your stay in Sydney & the C2S run! I'm so pleased you had such a great time during the run...you sum up very well just what the day should be about for everyone: relishing the run with joy & laughter & with friends...you did it all!

As for "the cuddle"...... a big thrill for me, so anytime you gorgeous thing!

 
At 3:07 PM, Blogger miners said...

Was a wonderful day wasn't it? And OK, the pasta was pretty bad on Saturday, but I rated the vegies pretty highly once they actually arrived.

great to meet you mate

 
At 5:48 PM, Blogger Cirque said...

I'm glad you enjoyed your outing Wobbly. Thanks for looking after the superwomen for me.

 
At 6:05 PM, Blogger RunDave said...

C2S sounds like so much fun. The atmosphere with all those CRs around sounds great. I'll have to try a run it one day. Do you have any events like this in Melbourne? We have the City 2 Bay in Adelaide, but I don't find it much fun to run in.

 
At 8:04 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Wobbly, I've just been reading Cirque's blog in which you mention the GC next year...are you going to be there? What event are you aiming for? Does it mean I can anticipate more cuddles? I should explain that I do get cuddles from Jimbo, but you know he is 'getting on a bit' as they say! So it's always a thrill to have one or two from a youngster such as yourself!

 
At 6:29 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Great race report Wobs! Thanks for the giggles! I didn't realise that was your distraction technique either! Duh. Must have been lack of oxygen to the brain.

 
At 11:22 AM, Blogger Lulu said...

Great race report Wobbly.. thanks again for picking me up at the end and carrying me across the finish line..see you again soon.

 
At 2:57 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Brilliant Dunc.......wish I had been there. Trouble is, I would have been one of those walkers who you have to elbow your way throgh!

(Lisa says I should call myself BobblyWob, what do you think!?)

Bob

 
At 3:51 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds great Duncan. I'm seriously envious about your encounter with Luck legs. Count me in next year!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home