Sunday, May 22, 2005

Williamstown Half Marathon

I won't bore you with the terrible night's sleep I had, but it finished with a dream that I was in Sydney for the SMH half and couldn't find the start.

When I woke - it was dark and I prepared my favourite pre-race breakfast - smashed banana on white toast - and another water bottle. Got to the start with heaps of time met stacks of fellow cool runners and latched onto Courtlylove and SlowJo as they seemed happy to run at around my expected pace for the day.

After a quick touch of the Goodwill Baton we were off and through the first 7kms reasonably comfortably. The second 7 was comfortable also but SlowJo was struggling with her cold so we took a couple of walk breaks so she could regain her breathing. The last 5k or so I went ahead and left SloJo (sorry mate) and was surprised to be feeling so strong - I wasn't passed and even passed a few runners that had passed me earlier. It was nice to catch a nice young British lady we had been chatting to for a while at about the 8km mark - she seemed quite interested in Cool Running so maybe we will hear from her on the web-site one day.

I finished really strongly and enjoyed the pancakes with honey, bananas and apple crumble. The ladies in the massage tent were awesome!! Not sure why I got the extended treatment compared to others but I am sure grateful for it. The beer at the Atomic Pub afterwards was great too - I just wish I could have stayed longer.

The weather was ideal - and the organisation was awesome except the km markers after the half way mark were all set up for the marathoners (shrugs). My splits are a bit of a guess but look like: 5k =28:51, 10k=58:15, 15k 1:30, 20k=1:58, 21.1k=2:03:48

After feeling a little doubtful about my preparation for this half I am eternally grateful to SlowJo for keeping me from going out too fast too early. Thanks mate - even though I was trying to help you through the tough bits you also were helping me control my pace.

A really enjoyable day for me and although my time was way off my PB I wasn't expecting anything more than a good finish and I got better than that. (2:04 roughly)

Spent the rest of the day on the couch...

5 Comments:

At 7:32 PM, Blogger Stu Mac said...

Excellent day at the office today, lots of sun and no wind and of course & most importantly lots of Cool people to say hi too!!!

 
At 8:41 PM, Blogger Robert Song said...

Certainly sounds like you had a good day. Nice to read about people enjoying there running.

 
At 9:00 AM, Blogger Jen said...

Congratulations Wobbly on a great run !!! Must have been that red wine and chocolate which finished off your taper quite nicely ;-) We were thinking of you - and sending you - good thoughts all morning. I'm really looking forward to meeting you at C2S !

 
At 1:11 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Hey stirrer! and you accuse me of wanting to live in Melbourne when you are dreaming of running in Sydney. Never fear, we where cheering for you too. Hope the shins are feeling ok. Re the massage ladies...I can guess why you got special treatment, you are a charmer/flatterer.

Roll on C2S I say!

 
At 7:01 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

That's a great coverage of your half marathon, Wobbly! I like the dream you had...be glad it was only a dream though! I can always find the start, it's the middle bits where I get lost , take a wrong turn, etc. & that's a nightmare in reality! It didn't happen on Sunday...thanks so much for your kind comments on my blog.

Quiestion: when am I going to see that your good-looking face without the glasses? I like the glasses, mind you, but I'd just like to make comparisons!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home