Tuesday, April 05, 2005

Does this count as a run?

I think it does. Faced with not running due to the pretty severe shin splints I didn't go for a long run last Sunday and instead decided to take Keeley for a training session (without training wheeels) on her bike . I need to run alongside just at the moment so I ended up running about 3kms or so. Trouble is that this has made them flare up and now its painful to walk around (2 days later) - pain level= 3-4/10 when walking.

Feeling slightly depressed, I went and bought something running related! I went and bought some new runners (Brooks Diad = $140)from the Brooks clearance shop. Even though I have only walked in them they are like walking on little cushions! Man I love new runners!! Hopefully I can get another 100kms out of the Glycerine 2's ($110) to get them up to about 750kms before being used for walks etc. Even though they have been good I am not sure they had the best roll protection and they haven't been as good as comfy/padded as the Adrenalines. I would have got a pair of those but the Brooks outlet doesn't stock them in popular sizes.

I am not planning on running at all this week. I am icing every day and limiting my walking where possible. Once the pain levels subside I will commence the stretching exercises that O runner guided me to at: http://www.sportsinjurybulletin.com/archive/1079-shin-splints.htm I will blog on any progress I make for those interested in rehab.

While the shin splints are something I have been managing for the past 6 months my last few months have been littered with occassional running back-to-back and I am sure this has not helped at all. My shoes were approaching the end and this combined with my nearly flat foot strike has been the major cause I suspect. Maybe I will try and keep a set of runners under 450kms for long runs and speed work so I am getting more protection on high stress runs.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home